Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum, just got a 72 SS a couple months ago. The right rear brake light stopped working.. Bulb has both filiments, I switched to left side and it works fine. I'm getting power to the right socket, the small filiment comes on when I turn the running lights on. However, neither the hazards or brake light work on the right side only... left side works fine. The plug on the wiring harness is clean and everything seems to be making contact. The wires going into the socket on the right look ok, but because of the location, its hard to tell. I got my hand up there and tried to make sure everything was plugged in ok, and it all seems solid. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
18,976 Posts
For the record I cannot get Sylvania bulbs to work in my 67. Folks told me to get new sockets. As usual I did not listen and got stuck on the different socket layout of a few very old bulbs I have vs the Sylvanias. Then , for shits and grins, I asked for Phillips bulbs, which are a few more dollars.

They have the nice cateye terminals as original, sylvanias dont .

SHAZZAM! The Phillips bulbs have better socket terminals and pin locations, seat tightly and do not fail. In a cleaned OEM harness BTW.

Both made in China btw. I think it was like $7 vs $9 at the time for a 2 pack. Phillips all the way.

So if you find all else they mention is fine, use the Phillips bulbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out the turn signal switch in the column. When the turn signals are not being used the brake lights go right through both sides of that switch. Sometimes the terminals get corroded.
Thanks for the quick response. I’ll take a look tomorrow and let you know.
Consider also checking the ground connections at the rear while yer at it.
Thanks Mark. I only see one ground for the entire rear wiring harness. It’s grounded into the bracket that receives the trunk locking mechanism. Let me know if I should be looking for additional grounds.

·
Premium Member
1969 Chevy Chevelle SS396, M20, 12 bolt 3:55, 454 w/fuel injection
281 Posts

Thanks Mark. I only see one ground for the entire rear wiring harness. It’s grounded into the bracket that receives the trunk locking mechanism. Let me know if I should be looking for additional grounds.
Yes, that one and what 427(Gene) was pointing out. The metal tabs on the socket and the tail extension where the metal tabs make contact.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
As far as I know all 64-72 Chevelles use the same bulb sockets for brake lights. One can do a lot better than plastic sockets with minimal grounds. I had AAW tail light bulb sockets in my 69. Last winter I did a little tail light project and at that time I installed some Pico brand bulb sockets. They are far superior to plastic sockets. Each metal finger on the socket helps create the socket ground.

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
So correct me if I’m wrong. On the brake socket one wire supplies power for the tail/running filament in the bulb and the other wire provides power to the brake/turn signal filament. Do you have a multimeter? Check for DC voltage on each of the two contacts in the socket but do it one contact at a time. Just put the ground wire from the meter to the metal trunk surface. I think with the brake applied one contact should get power. With tail lights on the other contact should get power. If you cannot get power to both contacts when head light switch pulled and brakes on then you are not getting power for brake signal/turn signal.
Clean the bulb contacts off with a little sand paper.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

If your running light works I'd say your ground is okay. Check the column switch like hydro said. On mine the plastic cracked letting the little metal tabs move around. Should be pretty obvious on close inspection..
You can unplug the column harness and ohm it out as well. Move the blinker lever and compare left/right blinker position for reference.

·
Premium Member
18,976 Posts
yes check the switch first; the Phillips bulbs are something that may be unique to my 1967 sockets. Thank you for the visuals Mark, they help. PS I didn't really mean it when I called you a candyass btw! Only fools use manual drums to stop from 120 mph, ME!

·
Premium Member
1969 Chevy Chevelle SS396, M20, 12 bolt 3:55, 454 w/fuel injection
281 Posts
yes check the switch first; the Phillips bulbs are something that may be unique to my 1967 sockets. Thank you for the visuals Mark, they help. PS I didn't really mean it when I called you a candass btw! Only fools use manual drums to stop from 120 mph, ME!
No offense, Gene, I figured you were messin with me. 😬😉

·
Registered
1970 SS 396 25-C, 1966 SS R-R
1,063 Posts
The dark green and yellow wires in the steering column connector go to the brake, signal filament of the bulb. One wire to each side in the rear. Check there to see if you have voltage when brakes or signal is on. I have found bad solder connections on the signal switch in the column. These can be soldered in place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys! Rear end wiring harness was/is grounded properly. Tried the Phillips bulbs just for s&g’s, (nice bulbs which I’ll leave in there, but didn’t do anything…)
I started prepping to pull the steering wheel and check/replace the turn signal switch. When I disconnected the 10 pin connector under the column there was some obvious corrosion and dirt build up. Cleaned it with electronic cleaner and VOILÀ!
I really appreciate all the feedback and help. I’m pretty to this. It’s really comforting to know there are so many great people out there who are still willing to help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts