Chevelles.com banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I parked a 265 this fall that was the first mower that I ever ran. The Kawasaki engine started knocking. GREAT mower. The farm that I grew up on bought it new in 1991. I drove it 6 days a week from about 9 in the morning until dark except for the two days I had little league games starting at age 9. It was a pretty big farm, and we had to start over as soon as we finished. I personally drove it for 3 or 4 years until I graduated to other more important labor. A couple years later, my dad bought it at the auction when the farm split up. There is absolutely no telling how many hours are on that machine. The hour meter quit a long time ago. My dad got tired of messing with it after I moved away from home (dirty fuel) and drug it out into the bushes. I asked for it when I found out he was going to scrap it. I got it about a year ago, cleaned the carburetor, emptied the gas multiple times to get all the trash out, replaced the drive pulley that was frozen and adjusted the valves. It ran like a top. I shut it off when it started knocking a couple of months ago, but I am looking for a used motor right now. I think I will be able to find one in the 150-200 dollar range.

I definitely would trust a former engineer that worked for the company that builds them. I guess the point is, the ones sold at the box store are not the same quality as the ones that they only sell at the dealership. If you buy new or used, the dealer only ones are made better.
That's a great story, this one has 1200 hours he said he would deliver it this weekend , 1200 hours on it . Can't beat 750 with a plow and all .

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
For the John Deere mowers, the residential versions are the 100 series mowers and have the same product specifications and quality checks whether you purchase them from a dealer or the big box stores. There is no difference at all dealer vs Home Depot/Lowes. The commercial mowers (300 series and up) are not sold in the big box stores and are only sold at dealers and have different specifications, all JD mowers have rigorous quality and safety inspections. Residential mowers are built in Horicon, Wisconsin. Commercial mowers are built in Augusta, Georgia.
Agreed that the 100 series from the dealer and from the box stores are the same.

In the interest of accurate information, I Googled to be sure....

All 100 series (the cheap ones) are built in Greenville TN.

X series (X300 through X700s) are built in Horizon WI.

Compact utilities "1 Family" (as Deere calls them) through "5 Family" are built in Augusta GA.

And the large row-crop tractors are built across town from me. (Five facilities here, from drawing board to finished product).

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
There are many good used JD's to be found on CL. I recently bought a '92 LX188 (17 hp liquid-cooled Kawasaki engine) with 3-blade mower deck and bagger for $475. Wanted the tractor only for blowing snow. Stopped at a gas station on the way home with the tractor in the back of the PU. Guy came over and offered $350 for the mower deck and bagger. Sold!

It runs like a champ, blows snow 50 feet out from the driveway. Best $175 I ever spent.....

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
The new tractor you buy at the box store will be the same that the dealer sells,but when you need service,esp. warranty,you will find out why you should purchase it from a dealer.Mass marketers are in the retail sales business,not the repair business.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
The new tractor you buy at the box store will be the same that the dealer sells,but when you need service,esp. warranty,you will find out why you should purchase it from a dealer.Mass marketers are in the retail sales business,not the repair business.
Exactly! Try pulling up to Lowes or Home Depot with a tractor you bought there and needing repairs.........They'll probably do the same thing Lowes did when their "best" air compressor blew up on me (the third one in a year) and issue a store credit and take it back.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts