Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed a set of front and rear coil springs from performance suspension components in my 70 chevelle. after installation the front was 2 inches higher than the rear, definately not the stance i want. i've driven it about two weeks and it has not settled. i know i gave the correct info when i bought the springs, 350 w/ac. any suggestions and lowering the front end? how hard is it to cut a coil off? should i just bring it in to a spring and alignment shop and have them do it? thanks.

Rich

·
Registered
738 Posts
Rich, I would first call the spring manufacturer and find out if your ride height should be so 'high' in the first place. Maybe they sent the wrong springs? IF they indeed sent the correct springs, you can cut out a coil to drop the front end.

There have been a number of posts about cutting coil springs in the past - you might want to use the search feature. The main point about cutting springs is to avoid using excessive heat (ie. torch) to get the job done. Hope this helps!

------------------
70' Malibu - 383 'Dental Gas' Inhaling Stroker! Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the same problem with springs I ordered as well. Matter of fact, the rears really are low but I use air bags 'cause I race a lot. This will bring the ride back level and stiffen up the rear (at the expense of cutting the springs).....

HOWEVER.....I'm getting ready to take a coil off my fronts to correct the stance. No one at PST could figure out why (with lowering performance springs) the car was higher in the front. Finally I gave up and figured I would fix it myself. I have cut springs before, don't try a hacksaw, you'll be there forever. I bought a cutoff wheel for my 5" bench grinder and it went through them like butter (well frozen butter) and all was fine.

Warning, do one coil at a time, although time consumming it's impossible to JB Weld the old coil back on! Ha Ha.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Although this won't cause excessive ride height, you should leave the control arm bushing bolts (in the ends of the shafts) loose till the weight of the car is on the springs. Then tighten. This will give additional life to the bushings and not "preload" them.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have the same problem with TRW springs purchased locally. The counterman tells me that standard front springs on a '69 Malibu are the same p/n with or w/o A/C. He says that HD springs come in different p/n's for A/C and non A/C. I didn't want a harsh ride, so I bought standard springs. The rears are Moog cargo coils and are about 6 months older but the car sits higher in front than I'd like it to be.
Rich

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard quite a few people have the same problem that i'm having. Maybe i'll try cutting the springs. I've heard this significantly stiffens up the ride? The car is pretty stiff right now, has anyone had experience in this area? thanks.

Rich

·
Registered
35 Posts
Taking more than one coil off the spring will start to affect the ride of the vehicle. Usually the last coil is not considered 'active'. The spring constant is based on the number of active coils and the less active coils, the higher the spring constant.....in other words it requires more work (load) to deflect the spring the same distance.

You will not notice a big difference taking off one coil, you will start to notice it if you take off 2 or more.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I don't know about the '70 Chevelle, but the '69 Chevelle does sit slightly higher in the front than the back (In stock trim)! The stock front springs are about 380 Lbs/in and the rears are about 180 Lbs/in. For a good firm ride that isn't too stiff try about 560 Lbs/in in the front and 190-200 Lbs/in in the rear. As far as ride height goes my '69 is lowered 2" in front and 1-1/4" in back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
rich,
I also installed all 4 new springs on my 64ss.While still new the front was way higher than rear.after 3-4 months it settled about 1 inch.Rather than cut the springs ,I would raise the the back up with some kind of "help" from air or coils mounted to shocks.you will get used to the higher stance and after driving for a while, it will settle.stiffness is normal with a newly rebuilt frontend.I would trade the springs for a softer set before cutting them.I don't think pst will accept returns if the item they sent is what you ordered.Changing the spindles would give you a lower look until the springs relax,but that would be expensive.what if you park a big block in the hole for a while? good luck

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you really wanna lower the front end, purchase some 2" dropped spindles for a lowered stance. But I would just try raising the rear with air shocks or buy a softer set of front springs. If you cut the front ones and it doesn't come out right, Performance Suspension Components won't let you return them. Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what does the manual say the stock ride height is for a 70 chevelle? i'm not sure where i'm suppose to measure to, but from the ground to the fender my car sits 25 1/2 in the rear and 28 1/2 in the front. thanks.

------------------
Rich
70 Chevelle
http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~rguerra

·
Registered
937 Posts
I just want to comment about ratchet's statement about his springs settling. If your springs "settled" I would pitch them in the nearest dumpster! Springs shouldn't settle at all. If they do settle, that means that the spring manufacturer is doing a very poor job and/or using inferior steel. Springs "settle" because they are over-stressed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.