Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a tank with an internal A1000. It appears the ricks tank has a convential pump and filter mounted inside the tank horizontally while the rock valley tank has on of the stealth units mounted vertically.

I am looking for anyones experience with either of these tanks and how you like them. And any opinions on the two different ways of getting things done.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd give Hector at Ricks a call. I'm pretty sure they have an internal A1000 setup. I ordered a tank from him last year and was able to change bung sizes, etc so they are good about allowing changes/customizations. Really nice piece too.

BTW someone over on Lat-G was running some type of special on Ricks tank during Feb I think.

John

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd give Hector at Ricks a call. I'm pretty sure they have an internal A1000 setup. I ordered a tank from him last year and was able to change bung sizes, etc so they are good about allowing changes/customizations. Really nice piece too.

BTW someone over on Lat-G was running some type of special on Ricks tank during Feb I think.

John
I have talked to both places. Both seem like nice pieces. Just looking for some real world feedback on them.
The ricks uses an A1000 but it is the convential style pump mounted horizontal with an inline filter. The rock valley tank uses the new "stealth" vertical pump with built in filter.....Looks more like a factory type unit.

Brian

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Rick's VaporWorx is *the best* option out there.

They're built to use an OEM in-tank fuel pump module complete with a surge tank and multiple venturi pickups. Starvation issues at lower fuel levels or hard use are a thing of the past because of the surge tank and multiple pickups. You can autocross a car with 2 gallons left in the tank and not have a problem.

My Rock Valley tank (lots of baffles with an external SX pump) and a friend's older Rick's tank with an internal A1000 both have fuel control/starvation issues during hard use at lower fuel levels.

Construction quality of both our tanks is great but the internal designs leave something to be desired. There are only a couple foolproof ways to have "any-condition" fuel delivery...

1. Sump with check balls / swinging door baffles. Works well unless you keep fuel away from the pickup area long enough to suck the sump dry.

2. External surge tank & 2nd pump to feed the surge tank. Works quite well if the surge tank is sized properly but now you have a 2nd pump to worry about. The secondary fuel pump will occasionally suck air which is hard on the pump.

3. Surge tank (internal) fed by multiple venturi pumps. The multiple venturi pumps means you can have several pickups located in different areas of the tank so no matter what the car is doing at least one pickup will always be feeding fuel into the sump. Venturi pumps won't be damaged by occasionally sucking air (as a secondary fuel pump is in setup #2.) This is what the OEM's have been doing for years and only in the last year or so have the aftermarket guys started using this approach. It's not the cheapest solution out there but it is best designed and most effective solution.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rick's VaporWorx is *the best* option out there.

They're built to use an OEM in-tank fuel pump module complete with a surge tank and multiple venturi pickups. Starvation issues at lower fuel levels or hard use are a thing of the past because of the surge tank and multiple pickups. You can autocross a car with 2 gallons left in the tank and not have a problem.

My Rock Valley tank (lots of baffles with an external SX pump) and a friend's older Rick's tank with an internal A1000 both have fuel control/starvation issues during hard use at lower fuel levels.
But I need more fuel than a 255 Walbro can supply..........That is the problem with the VaporWorx setup. Unless they are using a higher volume pump than that???

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
But I need more fuel than a 255 Walbro can supply..........That is the problem with the VaporWorx setup. Unless they are using a higher volume pump than that???
The VaporWorx setups a designed around the 2010 Camaro fuel pump modules.

Here's the stock fuel pump module specs:
GM P/N 19208719. 2010 LS3 Camaro.
Regulator: Delphi P/N FP100211B1 or equivalent.
Output pressure: 58psi.
Output volume @ 58psi/13.5v: 200LPH.
Horsepower capacity: 655HP @ 13.5V with a BSFC of 0.5.
Output volume @ 58psi/14.7v: 260lph.
Venturi performance: Effective to 45psi. Below 45psi the venturi pumps cannot keep up with the pressure pump output.

A few aftermarket places sell modded 2010-2011 Camaro fuel pump modules with twin pumps that are good to 1200+hp. Those will drop right into the VaporWorx tanks and that's what I'm going to be using.

Have a look at ADM performance, they have one of their fuel pump modules feeding a Camaro making 910rwhp. Unfortunately their FPM's aren't cheap but I suppose that's the price you pay for feeding big HP.

Having fought my tank for years (having to keep > 1/2 tank in it at all times in order to beat on the car) I can't wait to ditch it for a VaporWorx setup and be able to put my foot in it or sling it around corners without looking at the fuel gauge first to make sure it's safe.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The VaporWorx setups a designed around the 2010 Camaro fuel pump modules.

Here's the stock fuel pump module specs:
GM P/N 19208719. 2010 LS3 Camaro.
Regulator: Delphi P/N FP100211B1 or equivalent.
Output pressure: 58psi.
Output volume @ 58psi/13.5v: 200LPH.
Horsepower capacity: 655HP @ 13.5V with a BSFC of 0.5.
Output volume @ 58psi/14.7v: 260lph.
Venturi performance: Effective to 45psi. Below 45psi the venturi pumps cannot keep up with the pressure pump output.

A few aftermarket places sell modded 2010-2011 Camaro fuel pump modules with twin pumps that are good to 1200+hp. Those will drop right into the VaporWorx tanks and that's what I'm going to be using.

Have a look at ADM performance, they have one of their fuel pump modules feeding a Camaro making 910rwhp. Unfortunately their FPM's aren't cheap but I suppose that's the price you pay for feeding big HP.

Having fought my tank for years (having to keep > 1/2 tank in it at all times in order to beat on the car) I can't wait to ditch it for a VaporWorx setup and be able to put my foot in it or sling it around corners without looking at the fuel gauge first to make sure it's safe.

Good info. Thanks Troy.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Good info. Thanks Troy.
No problem. The Watts link and VaporWorx tank with an ADM (or equivalent) high-flow dual pump module are going to be the very first changes this coming winter once I get my car back on the road and get the bugs with the new LS2 worked out.

With my current tank I can't go WOT for more than 1-2 seconds or hang a sustained hard corner with less than about 10-11 gallons in the tank or else the pump starts sucking air and the fuel pressure starts to flutter.

The shortcomings of the Rock Valley tank were not apparent until my last round of suspension upgrades and the addition of the Procharger. Prior to that I didn't notice any problems. My buddy has a Camaro with a Rick's tank with an internal A1000 and he starts to have fuel pressure issues under hard use with about 8 gallons left in the tank. Rick's can add a bunch of additional baffles and check balls to their internal or external pump tanks for extra cost on request. That helps quite a bit but the baffle and check ball arrangement still doesn't work as well as using the OEM fuel pump module with the surge tank and multiple venturi pickups.

·
Registered
614 Posts
We need pictures!

·
Premium Member
3,600 Posts
Mine is a Rock Valley. Not good as Troy points out after half a tank. The internal pump could not keep up with full throttle for any length of time, even on the dyno with a full tank.
I added another inline (series) pump to increase the capacity of the system and everything worked out OK except for the issue of high G turns. The pump is mounted in a rubber mounting attached to the frame rail on the hard line in the middle of the car.

Ron

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
vaporworx is an option. carl had a couple tanks at RTTC today. the new double pump is good for 1000 and the single pump and controller are good for 700.

i still plan to run my ricks with the internal sump and checkballs and see how good it is. hector keeps telling me its enough and i have no reason to doubt him.

does anybody know what dse runs? they run the rock valley/dse tanks, but what do they do to make them work? kyle was running the new mast black label 427 today and that thing is FRIGGIN fast.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I don't believe we have a sponsor for fuel delivery so I am gonna add a couple of companies to the consideration for pumps here. The Bosch 044 (from amazon and others) is a solid single pump similar in size to the walbro as is a new pump from a company called deatschwerks (www.deatschwerks.com). Both have supported 600rwhp+ on pump gas with the deatschwerks flowing a bit more. Obviously if you are looking to run E85 at higher power levels you will need more pump.

·
Registered
132 Posts

John
We did have a sale going on on Ricks tank's and can still get some really good savings. I would use a Rick's/Vaporworx tank over a Rock Valley. The quality is nicer and a much better design. Carl just did release some new options for the Vaporworx tank. http://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...for-you-got-it.-Three-new-VaporWorx-products.
I am a dealer for Rick's Tanks and can save you quite a bit of $ on a tank. PM for details

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
I am thinking of using a stock tank and adding in my own A1000 stealth kit with my own baffeling. Sort of a tank within a tank. Do any of you think this is doable? I will be at the 1200HP (forced induction EFI) range and that seems to be the upper bound of what is available, and it'll be at the upper bound of the pricing too! I have an external WEldon pump that has it's own PWM controller for street use. I may just sump the tank and include a 3 wall baffle and call it a day. This part of my project is just around the corner for me, so I'll be checking back on this thread.

Luke, if you want to shoot me some pricing to look at, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just ordered a Ricks Tank, he is now using the Stealth upright A1000 with built in filter.
And reassured me that we will have no fuel control problems. I asked him about the Vaporworks and he said it was a great setup but felt the A1000 with engine mounted regulator was the better choice for our setup. Upgraded the fuel sender, and said he would do any additional baffling needed to ensure fuel control. I'll get some pics of the newest version of the Ricks tank setup when it arrives, as the pics on his website are not current.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have to be careful where I tread here since I am not a sponsor of the site and do not want to step on the forum rules. I'll be happy to discuss the technology behind the product and what it can, and cannot do. However, I would like to have the permission and scope limits from the mod's before proceeding.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts