Chevelles.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High All,
Anyone used one of these in their chevelle?
any modes to tunnel or floor pan?
any issues with trans?
your thoughts on these transmission in general.

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
Wes,
I have a Richmond Street 5sp in my Cutlass. I installed it 22yrs ago and it's still doing just fine. Since you are in OKC, you are welcome and look at the installation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
Well, the Richmond Super Street has several advantages. If one already has a Muncie them most of the stuff can be reused such as shifter, bell housing, clutch and pressure plate and even the driveshaft. A new rear yoke is required. There are no tunnel mods needed. They have been around for a while so used units are available.
I have a Legend and had to wait a little bit to aquire it but during the wait I was looking for a Super Street and just missed a time or two as they were already sold by the time I found out. Not positive but think the 5th gear is available in two different ratios.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Well, the Richmond Super Street has several advantages. If one already has a Muncie them most of the stuff can be reused such as shifter, bell housing, clutch and pressure plate
The shifters will not interchange.Muncie is a 4 speed and the Richmond is a 5 speed,2 completely different shifters.
There may also be differences with the clutch/pressure plate.I believe the Muncie is a 10 spline and the Richmond is a 26 spline.
Guy

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
Guy, you are correct. Different shifter and a new disc would be needed as it a 26 spline.
There is a video out by Paul from 5speeds that refers to some mods done to the super street to make it a smoother shifter.
I guess the big thing is its an option for those that dont want to cut their trans tunnel.

Reactions: GuysMonteSS

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
How does the Super Street 5 speed compare to the old 4+1 as far as case size and other differences? I know the Super Street is overdrive and has a higher torque rating. The transmission Paul was working on was a 4+1.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Guy, you are correct. Different shifter and a new disc would be needed as it a 26 spline.
There is a video out by Paul from 5speeds that refers to some mods done to the super street to make it a smoother shifter.
I guess the big thing is its an option for those that dont want to cut their trans tunnel.
Brad,it's actually a 2 part video.I had my transmission guy watch them last time the last time the old Doug Nash was rebuilt,and it made a huge difference in how well it shifted.
Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
So, I could drop a Richmond 5 in the '65 wagon without modifying the floor pan, the shifter location, could reuse my crossmember, clutch, bellhousing and driveshaft (already have a 26-spline clutch)?

One of the biggest reasons I haven't put in an overdrive trans yet is because I didn't want to hack up the floors or muck with moving the console around. Also, all the additional equipment to install a Tremec is kind of a turn off even though I really like the Tremecs. I have one in the '06 GTO which has been great. Heavy as a mofo, but works great once you get a good shifter on it.

I'd think their 2.89 first gear version would be okay with my stupid 4.10 gears. And I could always change the rear end gears at some point (they are kind of fun).

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Rich, I put one ( Richmond 4+1) in my 65. No hacking floor, moved crossmember back one hole ( had to drill 2 new holes), Turbo 400 yoke is needed and the driveshaft needed to be shortened about 3/4" (roughly) I have 3.08s in the rear, but could easily go 2.73 or 2.56 as my 1st gear is 3.27 and 5th is 1-1.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wes,
I have a Richmond Street 5sp in my Cutlass. I installed it 22yrs ago and it's still doing just fine. Since you are in OKC, you are welcome and look at the installation.
Tom, I would love to come visit about it sometime.
I was thinking about going to this next weekend if life & the boss allow.

El Reno Fly-in & Community Day
August 22nd, 2020 9:00 AM
Join us at our First Annual "Fly RQO Fly-In and Community Day!" We will celebrate the airport's recent improvements while showcasing one of our biggest projects to date. This will be a day full of food, vendors, WWII-era warbird flyovers, classic cars, and much more. Come join the fun!

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
I run a 4+1 in a '66 Malibu, 327/350hp or so with 2.73 rear gears....love it. A little notchy but nothing obnoxious. Also run a Richmond SuperStreet 5 speed with unknown gears but overdrive, in a '66 SS blown bbc….shifting is more more buttery but very precise. That car has a McLeod RXT clutch and love everything about it. If I had my choice, it would have 3.73 butt gears, but not complaining. No hacking on either car.

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
With our old Richmond road race 5 speed, I had to slightly clearance the tunnel for the 3/4 ( forward) shift rod is all. It relocated the shifter back a freckle, , so I had to make plastic "extensions". Underneath, I can t say if the modern one is like the old one i had , but we literally took a crossmember for a t400 , cut the trans mount off, flipped it upside down and welded it back up. Finally the Richmond 5 Speed relocates the trans mount back a bit, only as much as the next set of hole already predrilled in the frame rail in our 67.

Reactions: RR24

·
Registered
256 Posts
Going to go pick up a new Richmond Super Street 5 speed today. We'll see how it goes. Installing in a 66 Malibu.

I thought that might be a good option for me, and then I saw the price...... As much as I would like to have an overdrive tranny, I could drive my car for the next 100 years and not save enough gas to justify the expense of all of these 5 and 6 speed transmissions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Initial observations.
1. Same length as Muncie. 22 inches bell housing face to end of output shaft
2. Shifter is 4 inches further back than a Muncie and appears to stick a lot further up. (came with a Long brand shifter) Have to cut on the tunnel I believe.
3. Muncie has about 6 inches of spline on the output shaft. Richmond 3 1/2 inches. Guessing with higher spline count it does not need as much spline?
4. Picked up body mount kit to install prior to installing this transmission. Read on here I believe to make sure body mounts are in good shape?

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
For sure #4. Prior owner cheated and only replaced lower bushings. Our 67 could use another 1/2" of height. Hence my having to clearance for the 3/4 rod and a bit of safety loop fitment issue.

Now I get to play again. :( Hey, the undercoat removal is the big job, raising the car one side at a time to get new upper bushings in ought be child's play in compariosn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well gentlemen, I've decided that I'm not going to cut / disassemble this car again (just put it together). Maybe some time down the road. Sold the 5 speed to another guy putting a 66 together. New Auto Gear M22 ordered.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts