Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have one but have looked at them for my car. Shifter looks to be in standard location. Not included with tranny.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i use to run the nash 5 speed and it sits back a little further than the muncie but not so bad as to butcher the floors. It will not fit in the console w/o modification. You also neeed to slide the tranny xmember back a little. If you need more info drop me aline

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm running a Richmond 5 speed in my 69 SS. Fit is nearly stock... Without the console. Just move the crossmember back like BoB H said. Its not more than a few inches, and install. Make sure you pay special attention to setting up the linkage. I'm running a Hurst, but Long makes one with a reverse lockout. Something you may want to invest in if you're use to shifting a four speed. I always felt like I had to grab one more gear to be in that final position, till' I got use to the 5 speed. I don't even use fifth gear when I race, but natural tencency was to pull DOWN for fourth. Guess what? It makes a grinding noise that wakes you right up! Good thing I wasn't "power shifting"! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Hello Jerry,

I have a Doug Nash 5spd in a 70. Believe it is the same as the Richmond tranny.

Using a stock M22 driveshaft, my convertable chassis had holes that worked for the crossmember.

The Hurst shifter for the 5spd mounted like a Super Shifter (high and offset to the drivers side), so the console would not fit.

I wanted the console because I don't race the car anymore. This is what I did to make it work. I had to use the "L" shaped piece form a Hurst Competition Plus shifter (where the stem bolts onto the shifter itself). I had the L piece cut off the Comp Plus, and welded onto the Doug Nash shifter. This allowed the stem to come up in the center of the tunnel, as opposed to next to the drivers seat. But the shifter was still "too high" up into the tunnel due to the way the 5spd shifter mounts to the tranny using a steel plate. The shifter bolts to a plate, which bolts to the tranny.

I lowered the plate mounting position on the tranny by redrilling it, thus lowering the shifter position.

The shifter now sits in the console, and has a muncie stem bolted to it (the munice stem had to be drilled to fit the Hurst bolt pattern).

It looks totally original from inside the car, and due to the wide range of adjustment on the 5spd shifter rods, it shifts great too.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have a question. [email protected].

Good luck, Joe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.