Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the owners of Richmond 5 speeds several months ago I hurt reverse in my trans and called Brian at SK Speed equipment in NY and in the process of getting that done I discussed how stiff the trans was shifting. He worked for D N before it was sold to Richmond and he told me the production specs for the hubs and sliders were different. I sent my hubs and sliders to him for machining and new syncros that are made of a different material. I have been running the trans now for several months the shifting has improved dramaticly as the new syncros have seated and shifting is much smoother. I have had several runs at the track also and have even power shifted with no problems 11.56 @ 117 MPH. So just for your info I like the upgrade and think it was a good investment. Aloha Mike

·
Premium Member
9,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,I bought it used supposedly minimal use and I put another few thousand miles on it before I sent it out. From what I have been told the Richmond version never shifted as well as the D N version.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Mike,

Wow, what a small world. I lived on LI NY and used to go to S&K Speed all the time. Brian has been there since the late 70's. They used to have a install shop and a dyno at one time.

Brian rebuilt several transmissions for myself and my friends. Thats for a trip down memory lane.

·
Premium Member
9,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only know Brian over the phone but a great guy and his stuff works!!

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Mike I'm glad to hear that your tranny is working better,I've never yet heard anything bad about Brian at SK.If & when the time comes for mine to need any work,I will be taking the same route as you did.
Guy

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Mike, can you post the part # and link to the 5 speed you had and a phone number for the guy that repaired yours and maybe a link for him also?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Butch I was going to bed and took a last surf down the list. S-K Speed ask for Brian he worked and assembled Doug Nash transmissions. Much better assembly and Quality control. Richmond bought DN out and went to production line tolerances. Brian knows his stuff and if you talk to him tell him I'm slamin' his hubs and sliders good. skspeed.com (631) 957-9427:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Butch,

Brian really knows his stuff. :yes: Been building manual transmissions for over 40 years. He specializes in building nothing but manual tranny's for street/strip and racing cars.

http://www.skspeed.com/aboutsk/transshop/default.asp

He built me a Super T-10 with 2.64 / 1.75 / 1.33 /1.00 gearset, 9310 high nickel content cluster gears with specially modified syncros for better durability and shifting, nodular iron main case with a nodular iron mid-bearing plate. Brian told me that this tranny is the "strongest" OEM type transmission for a street/strip GM car. "In his opinion", a Super T-10 built like this is stronger than the new M-22 with the AG Supercase. He claims it will handle 600lb/ft of torque. He has guys using trannys similar to mine behind big blocks (drag racing) with no problems. To get anything stronger he says you have to go to a racing transmission like a Jerico or G-Force.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is one of the better advice posts I've read. Last night driving home from a car cruise, My Richmond six speed popped out of 6th. I did not seem to go into 6th all the way. Tried it twice and still a problem so I stayed in 5th. I will try to hook up and ship it to Brian because of the recommendation. The 6 speed is 2003 vintage, and does not shift as smoothe as I think it should. One last problem, is that my console had to be moved back 3to4 inches and now does not follow the hump contour.
I'm not sure if I just want to go 5 speed because I believe they will be the same lenght as the Muncie. Does anyone know what I am trying to say, and have a comment.:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Before you pull your tranny out,maybe it would be a good idea to have a look at it first.It could be something as simple as a loose nut or a spring clip that isnt in place properly,or a bushing that is worn out.
Guy

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
not to hi jack this thread, but does the richmond 5 spd fit in the chevelle w/o mods-i had a tremec 5 spd, so i know whats involved there, just didnt like its shifting

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an E-Mail into Richmond to find out if the 5 speed will fit without mods to the console location. I will get under the car tonight to see whats there. Either way, I would like the console close to the factory location. From outside the car it looks fine, but I kinow it should be up and if you look close, you can see space in one spot. Call me anal,sorry. I dont want to sacrifice that overdrive. I like it

·
Registered
392 Posts
My richmond 5 fits great in my 64 ,centers in the console well.
thanks for the s-k link ,my richmond could use some love-second gear syncro is getting weak and the tranny has a lot of miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts