Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is regarding my 93 Honda but I fiqure the effect would be similar on my Chevelle. Yesterday my wife left the lights on in the Honda and the battery went dead. When she went to work she armed the alarm. She comes out for lunch and discovers the alarm isn't working because the battery is dead. One guy helps her get a jump just enough to disarm the alarm but it is not enough to turn the car over. It just "clicks" She has to go back to work so she just manually locks it. Next, Skippy The Wonder Boy says he will give her a jump later in the afternoon. He does so. Problem is- he reversed the jumper cables. Now the car has no lights, no interior lights, no clicking, nothing at all but interestingly the alarm will arm and disarm if I put a fresh battery in.
Any ideas what to do next?
Thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You might try and check all fuses first.
then probably check the alternator, the diodes usually burn out. This could also fry your computer. I have seen batteries blow up when people do this, your lucky!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would look long and hard for a fusible link somewhere near the battery (probably).... yeah the computers are sensitive but the designers arent stupid.. they actually took some precautions against this stuff.

The alarm is most likely wired directly to the battery and bypasses all the car's wiring..

Dont forget to update us on what happens... and dont worry because this kind of thing has happened to me before and it all turned out good..

Mike

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed it with some help from friends. Car has TWO fuse boxes. One under the dash. One under the hood. It blew an 80 amp fuse under the hood. You are correct about the alarm. It was wired directly to the batt. so it worked. New fuse and voila, it started right up. I was having visions of the car in the Honda service shop for a week or 2 at $$$$/hour tracking down some unknown short. Wheewww, I was worried. Told the wife: "NEVER, EVER, EVER, let anyone touch the vehicles!" Thank you everyone for your advice.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,002 Posts
Michael

might want to keep an eye on it for a couple weeks, in particular, check the battery voltage with the engine off and then on. Off, it should be about 12.8V, on it should be about 14.2. sometimes it seems like there is a regular syndrome of turning up with a dead battery a week or two after a deal like this.

Tom

·
Registered
622 Posts
You need to praise the luck gods - my son got a "free" Nissan 200 sx that was crossed during a jumper episode - we never did get it going even after a "new" used computer for $150 and lots of hours of tracing wires, studying manuals, talking to nissan mechanics, and replacing relays etc..
The guy we gave it to wasted hundreds at a repair shop and it never did run. It didn't seem worth the $500 for the computer and more for whatever else died.
My 64 Elky has no computer,or electronics AND is certified Y2K compliant !!
Jap Crap Sucks !
PS-I also drive a Nissan truck - how's that for 2 faced ?

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.