Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed while backing my boat in the driveway the other day some smoke coming from my steering column. Well after unhitching and looking under the dash and found the 2 wires to the reverse lights melted together and warm. 1)Why didn't the fuse blow? 2)What else is on this circuit? 3)Where should I start looking for problem - bad connection? Anything typical?
'71 GMC Sprint

------------------
Tom Donaldson
71' GMC Sprint

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Fuses won't blow until you reach the rated value of the fuse. Burnt wires, from shorts below that value, occur in cars. The fuse does its best job with a direct short to ground. Turn signals are also on that circuit, but don't go there yet.
Look closely at the burnt wires. The wires burn away from the problem. Burns are greater towards the source of the short. Since the car was not in reverse, suspect the pink wire has more damage and the green wire just burnt because it was next to the pink. Guessing that the pink wire is burnt pretty good where it goes into the connector while the green wire is not.
Guessing that if you measure:
The pink wire's back-up switch terminal (connector removed) to a good chassis ground you will get a reading. This should be done before disturbing the switch.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me add some fuel to this so called fire.
I recently swaped to a tilt column and broke the turn signal switch and swaped a straight column switch in it's place. I did a stare and compare and looked exactly the same. So I'm pretty sure that's OK because it worked in the straight column. I did notice the reverse light wires were stuck to some other wires when I was changing the column out but didn't think too much about it at the time.
So John what your thinking is I either have a short to ground some where on the pink wire or a switch going bad. I'm usually pretty good with electrical stuff and wanted some input as to where to start looking.
Thanks John for your help. If you can think of anything else.....
Tom

------------------
Tom Donaldson
71' GMC Sprint

·
Registered
934 Posts
This post brought back some memories!

I had the rear bumper off my stepside truck to do some work and when I put it back on, I pinched the brake light wires between the brackets.

Went for a ride and everytime I stopped at a stop sign or traffic light, smoke would come out of the column! It took quite some time for the fuses to blow. Melted the wiring in the column pretty bad.

I too thought a fuse would prevent this but it didn't. Needless to say, I spent the rest of the day disecting my tilt/telescopic column!

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 C10 stepside 350
1971 Cheyenne 20 3/4 ton
Somebody stop me... :)

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

The 348/409 Chevrolet forum
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/187005

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.