Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1969 4 speed chevelle, Can't find the switch that turns on the reverse lights. Following the wiring diagram, I chased the correct wire up to the stearing column but the previous owner has disconnected it.(I knew that its the correct wire, cause I tested it.) The diagram doesn't show where it suppose to go. Doesn't make sense to me that it plugs into the stearing column without any wiring to the trans.
Any input would be a great help.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My 67 4spd reverse light switch is bolted to the transmission cover on the drivers side. It is activated by a small rod that connects to the reverse shift lever. The switch itself is round. A double wire from the switch runs along the left side of the tranny, up the firewall and enters the car just to the right of the master cylinder. There is a 1 foot extension that runs from the firewall to the under dash harness near the steering column. The connectors are round rubber with two prongs (at the firewall). The other end of the extension is a rectangular plastic connector. My wires are dark green and light green. I bought the whole assembly from http://www.wiringharness.com/ (M&H) for about $72.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think 69 Chevelle had a linkage rod from the transmission to the column, when you shift into reverse it twisted the column.
Hope this help Howie

L

·
0 Posts
Correct. Shifting into reverse causes the a portion of the steering column to rotate, locking the wheel, and turning on the backup lights. The part that rotates is right behind the key. It's common to disable this because on this part of the column is usually where you'd mount a tach or other gauges, unless you don't mind them spinning around everytime you put it in reverse. I believe this whole mechanism also makes it necessary to have the car in reverse to get the key out. The backup light switch is on the top of the column close to the floor. How the mechanism works is with some convoluted linkage, running from the reverse lever on the tranny to the steering column in the engine bay, close to the firewall.

[This message has been edited by Larry (edited 02-17-99).]

·
Registered
321 Posts
this linkage is called the "reverse lockout" linkage. it is supposed to be a safety device that prevents you from removing the key from the ignition in any 4 sp gear position other than reverse. it has the added effect of activating the reverse lamp switch.

the linkage is still availible aftermarket from the big suppliers. the tend to include: a pivot which bolts to the frame, an arm which connects the pivot to trans, and an arm which connects pivot to steering column.

Check to see what you need. Some suppliers offer just the steering column to frame pivot arm. that may be all you need.

I myself needed the full assembly. I have Hooker Super Comps w/ 3" collectors on my 70 SS396 installed by a previous owner. the headers interferred with the frame mounted pivot by about 1/8 - 1/4 inch. instead of doing a quick and easy alteration the PO lost the whole set up (what are they thinking sometimes?) all I had to do was to grind off enough to clear the headers. works like a charm and I can see when i back up at night again!

[This message has been edited by michael j (edited 02-17-99).]

L

·
0 Posts
If you don't like the steering column twisting, there is another easier way to get the backup lights to function. Hurst makes a backup light switch that bolts to the shifter. It fits Competition Plus shifters, though it might also work with stock Muncie shifters as well. Run the 2 wires from the switch up to the shifter hole, then under the carpet to the wires for the backup lights on top of the steering column. It's easy to install...and you take the key out of the ignition in any gear, not just reverse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.