Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
My reverse lights quit working so I decided to dig into it. I had no juice at the bulbs, but had it at the switch at the base of the steering column. I tried first adjusting the switch and no luck so I removed it. I looked online for a replacement only to find that they were $50-$75. I decided to open the switch itself and see if I could fix it. Good news, it was very simple and it works! Sorry if this has been posted already.

Use a small flatblade to pop the metal tangs over the plastic retainers so you can open the switch. Once open you'll see the simple operation of the switch. The part that slides back and forth had a roller contact in it that when pushed to the left, touches the contacts from the wire connectors. Mine were all gunked up with old grease and worn. I took a small brass brush from a gun cleaning kit and cleaned up the roller and point inside the unit. I also bent the tabs inside slightly up to accommodate the wear factor for better contact.

I circled the dirty contact points:

There is a small spring under the roller contact. Make sure to take it out and clean it all up.

Make sure to put plenty of fresh di-electric grease back in (it also helps with reassembly). Make sure the roller stays in place when you put the assembly back together. A bit tricky, but not terrible. Reinstall in the car and adjust as necessary.

If you have any questions, let me know. My car is missing the linkage to make this work from the shifter. It has an autometer street tach on the column that I just turn to the left to turn them on, then back over to turn them off.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Hey Jason this is arvin , I am new to this forum but I have some issues with my bu lights and was thinking you may direct me , what linkage did you refer to to activate the bu lights ? I have a 4 spd 70 chevelle and don't see any switch or related parts to engage the lights . I blogged it once already and got a reply that there was linkage around the steering column to make this happen ???? I don't see how that could work , can u help me understand this better ? Arvin. Frustrated here in wis

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arvin, sorry I haven't been back on since I posted this. Hopefully, by now you've figured it out :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts