Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to fix my reverse lights on my 70 with a Muncie 4 speed and could use a little help. I understand there is a rod assembly from the trans to the steeling column. I'm really not sure how this works. Any info guys? Photos possibly? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
There are two ways you can handle this. The first way is to use the "backdrive" linkage you are referring to. This is a rod which connects to the reverse arm on the shifter linkage that comes forward & connects to a bellcrank. Another shorter arm is connected to the other arm on the bellcrank and comes upward, just forward of your firewall, and connects to the steering column mounted arm that manipulates the portion of your steering column shell forward of the lock cylinder. If you decide to use this, you will be required to put your car in reverse every time you want to shut off the engine & remove your keys. By having these rods/bellcrank manipulate the steering column outer sleeve, it also makes the neutral safety/reverse light switch functional as well. This is mounted at the base of your column, just before it heads thru the firewall.

Another method to achieve reverse lights, and the way I did on mine (I didn't like the backdrive system method) was to attach a plunger style switch to a thin steel bracket, and mount on the adjustment bolt at the back of the shifter. It lines up with the reverse arm, and completes the circuit for the reverse lights when depressed. My website listed below has a picture of the switch in the "engine & transmission" section. All you'll need to do is tap into the light green/light pink wires that make up your reverse circuit. Good Luck!

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

My 72 Chevelle SS Restoration Website: www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Riskyvt is right on about the linkage! However my neutral saftey switch hooks to the clutch pedal. Maybe some are different. I've listed a link below to some pictures of the linkage you need from my 70 model with factory 4 speed. I hope these will help. A reproduction of this linkage is available from one of the aftermarket companies, but I can't remember which one. I'll look through my catalogs and let you know. Also, if I remember correctly, the switch on top of the column that activates the reverse lights is specific to the 4 speed so it's different than the ones that come with an automatic shift on the column, if thats what you originally had. I will also add that I'm 99 percent certain that the lever where the rod attaches to the steering column is different than the automatic columns. It's shorter and a different shape.

http://members.cox.net/chevelle/4speed

------------------
LS 5 1970 Hardtop M21 3:42 / L34 1970 Convertible TH400 3:42

[This message has been edited by chevyjim (edited 04-28-2002).]

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually my car is a factory 4-speed. I have no clue why the previous owner tampered with that. Thanks Guys!

[This message has been edited by 00WS6TA (edited 04-28-2002).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts