Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how I hook up the rear speaker? (Joe Hubka you out there?) Which color wires or where? I have a factory reverb unit (in trunk)that I assume was a dealer option as part of a rear speaker package. It is connected to the radio by a four strand harness. Up front I have a the factory Delco AM/FM push button radio hooked to the front speaker. Currently I have the rear speaker spliced into the front and bypassing the reverb.
COL E

------------------
COL E

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
COL E,

I'll have to get back to you tomm on the specifics. I've got Delco info on the Reverbs I've got to dig up. According to the Delco literature I have, no Reverbs were offered in Chevrolets, it was B-O-P (Buick, Olds and DEFINITELY the-most Pontiac). I've heard some people that claim they have stuff that looks 100% original, so I guess it is up to debate, but appears there's no "factory" reverb, only dealer-installs if I remember right. If dealers had access to this stuff, that would probably explain why some ended up in Chevys.

Also, Reverbs were availabe as aftermarket so anyone could get one back in the 'day.

Need some more info from you;

What year do you have?

Factory AM/FM? Is it AM/FM-mono (non-stereo)?

If mono(it has to be for reverb use), is your fader control present and working?

Joe

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coppertop:
COL E,

I'll have to get back to you tomm on the specifics. I've got Delco info on the Reverbs I've got to dig up. According to the Delco literature I have, no Reverbs were offered in Chevrolets, it was B-O-P (Buick, Olds and DEFINITELY the-most Pontiac). I've heard some people that claim they have stuff that looks 100% original, so I guess it is up to debate, but appears there's no "factory" reverb, only dealer-installs if I remember right. If dealers had access to this stuff, that would probably explain why some ended up in Chevys.

Also, Reverbs were availabe as aftermarket so anyone could get one back in the 'day.

Need some more info from you;

What year do you have?

Factory AM/FM? Is it AM/FM-mono (non-stereo)?

If mono(it has to be for reverb use), is your fader control present and working?

Joe
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cooppertop,
Thanks for the reply and info. The radio is a 1966 Delco AM/FM (Mono w/the stereo shorting plug)It was serviced and repaired by Tony Mac.
The reverb is a plain galvinized sheet metal box with a Delco part on one end and no other markings.

Fader Control? I don't think there is one. The only controls are the two on the radio on/off volume and tunning.

I'm not even sure the reverb works. Or how to test it.
COL E

------------------
COL E

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by COL Eikmeier:
Cooppertop,
Thanks for the reply and info. The radio is a 1966 Delco AM/FM (Mono w/the stereo shorting plug)It was serviced and repaired by Tony Mac.
The reverb is a plain galvinized sheet metal box with a Delco part on one end and no other markings.

Fader Control? I don't think there is one. The only controls are the two on the radio on/off volume and tunning.

I'm not even sure the reverb works. Or how to test it.
COL E

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

COL E,

I'm still reviewing somethings in my Delco literature. Still shows B-O-P only. Regardless, if you have a factory rear speaker with a mono (no stereo) radio, you must have a fader control. Otherwise, something was added or removed at a later date. The fader control is the "knob" behind the manual tuning knob. If you just have a "dummy" knob that doesn't do anything (no wires going to it), you have no fader. All reverbs required a single rear speaker, and you couldn't get a rear speaker without the fader control unit. So....

You can actually run both speakers together w/o the fader, but I hope both of your speaker are at least 8 ohms!. More on the reverb hopefully tomm. Don't mean to put you off, but I'm going to dig up as many examples of the hook-ups as I can to see if I can make an educated guess on what was the "norm" back then as far as Delco was concerned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a '67 Malibu that had the same sheet metal reverb box in the trunk and a single rear speaker...The wiring/mounting looked very factory (or very dealer if you will)...The original radio was long gone so no clue there...But a couple of years later I was parting out a '66 SS car that had an under dash knob that said "reverb" and a harness that connected to the radio and went back to the rear of the car...Low and behold, the connections for the '66 harness fit the pigtail to the '67 spring reverb box...Pretty sure it was dealer installed...I do have a bud with an absoloutely LOADED '67 GS400 Buick that has dealer installed reverb (with lower dash mounted knob) and an AM/FM...His car is very very original, never been apart, two owner, bla bla bla...Maybe I can talk him into letting me do a little poking around to see what goes to where...Good luck otherwise...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts