Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get my buckets reupholstered. Where is the best place to purchace the materials? How much should I pay someone if I supply all materials?

Thanks

------------------
71-SS-BB-4spd
Never say Never
http://hometown.aol.com/ucpglover

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
Wow- Nice looking car! I love looking through webpages that show all the progress pics!

Pretty much all the resto catalogs (YearOne,OPG,NPD,Paddock,Groundup, etc) Will stock all the parts you will need- Covers, Buns, Extra Springs, etc etc.

If you have a shop install the covers, you're pretty much just looking at their labor cost- figure $40-$70/hour for the work, and probably 3 or 4 hours.

If you have a shop install the covers, you might consider having them order you the other stuff too- Often times they may have access to better quality stuff than we do through our catalogs.

------------------
Ben Rambow
NECOA #022
1970 El Camino SS
My old 1969 El Camino

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got my seats recovered on my 66 recently, i bought the covers from OPG and the seats look brand new, also i payed about 150 to have both covered, plus welding because the springs were broken in one

------------------
1966 Chevelle Malibu 350
-Daren DePonte-

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I paid $600 in 1997 to have two bucket seats redone. This was pretty much the going price in the Central Jersey area. They supplied the covers, buns, and the labor. Also, they replaced some of the springs which were bad.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
597,000 miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info! Does anyone have experience with PUI covers?
Darren... I was also looking OPG catalog and was wondering if you remember what the brand name was.
I think Ground Up sells the ICP brand I know PUI cost more I just don't know what the difference is. Seems as if they are the only two manufacturers that I can track down.

------------------
71-SS-BB-4spd
Never say Never
http://hometown.aol.com/ucpglover

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
IMO- PUI makes the best stuff.
OPG sells "Distinctive Inc" Brand covers... I ordered a set of covers for my 69 from them, and was less than happy with their apprearance. The quality of the vinyl & fit was okay though. NPD and Year One sell PUI, I beleive. Your best bet is to always ask- don't assume!

Also, from what I understand PUI & Distinctive are the only two repop cover MFGs... I thought ACC(auto Custom Carpet) was repoping them, but after checking a bit it looks like they are not.

Hope this helps!
Ben

·
Registered
23 Posts
A friend of mine does it for $35.00 a cushion. I did my own but would gladly pay the next time. I bought the covers from NPD

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
I paid $500 to have the front/rear bench recovered/springs repaired, covers installed, and door panels "assembled". Thought I got a pretty good deal. BTW this was not including me supplying the covers and door panels!

------------------
Tony Nausieda
1970 SS 396 L34
1966 SS 396, ex-drag car
1977 Caprice, roller SB406
1965 Le Mans, 469cubes and F.A.S.T. EFI

·
Registered
104 Posts
Covering them yourself is fairly easy.I have done a front and rear bench as well as 2 sets of buckets.You just need hog ring pliers and some nice warm sunlight to help them strech

·
Registered
39 Posts
Blow dryers work great to when stretching out the material, and even more helpful when working the vinyl into the correct position once around cusions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts