Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have 1 month, 23 days, 1 hour, 56 minutes to go and I will officially retire!

Thank goodness! Everyone asks, "What are you planning to do?" I tell them, work around the house, organize my shop, organize the garage, travel a bit and when we get home next year in July, go look for a part time job that doesn't include the responsibility of DEQ, ODOT, Human Resources, OSHA and any thing else that I despise.

Mike

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm happy for ya. I was all set to retire in February, I thought. Received a letter from Social Security yesterday. I made too much money in 2015 so they want most of what they paid me that year back. Oh well, that just pushes me a few more months into 2017. Then I'll be like you, working around the house, on the cars, and pretty much anything I want to. Maybe I'll do a little fishing too.

Good luck to you and enjoy,

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Hey Mike. If you ever get to the north coast, please stop by!

I retired almost a year ago. Best move I EVER made... Advise to all. Retire as soon as you can and don't look back.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
My goal is to retire by the time I hit 57 (if not sooner.) Even taking a week off has my wife threatening me to get out of her hair, so I can just imagine what happens when I'm fully retired lol.

Playing with my toys, fishing, and whatever else I want to do is on my list to keep me busy. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Retirement is great! I'm not really sure when I actually retired, or if i really am now... Hard to figure. I quit my last full time job (front end mechanic, 28 years) on April Fools day, 1994. Since then I've been hustling "side jobs" and doing handyman repairs, built decks, custom furniture along with a few other endeavors. Now, at 67, I still make jewelry that sells pretty well online and try to corral 2 college students living in my house (my youngest and the grandson) along with rebuilding my 68 ElCamino. Keeps me young!....and broke.....

·
Registered
841 Posts
Well, I have 1 month, 23 days, 1 hour, 56 minutes to go and I will officially retire!
But who's counting? ;)

I am 65 and actually plan on working a few years longer...
Here is my reasoning...Well, first off, I don't have a pension of any kind but probably have enough to retire on. That being said, I am still pretty healthy and don't owe anyone anything except for taxes and utilities. I do make pretty good money and I can put most of it away in tax free things. I still like my job 90% of the time and I do work from home 2 or 3 days a week. I have decent benefits, including medical and 5 weeks off for vacation.

Sooooo, if I put more money away, I can get max social security at 70, I can then be able to pretty much do whatever I want, including travel etc....

But, this is just me..YMMV....grr

·
Premium Member
14,033 Posts
good luck with your plans, we retired in mid 2011 and haven't been sitting still, I don't know how we found the time to go to work, we're busier than ever since we retired!! It is nice to sleep in to 8 AM or so though!

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
I retired the first time at 38 and went to work to stay busy. Quit work at 59 and started my own business. Started SS at 62 and work part time two days a week for parts money. Retirement is great!!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I retired two year ago, and I have never looked back. I wish I had done it when I was 62 1/2, but the timing wasn't right so I suffered another 4 1/2 years......I love hearing how much I am missed. Tough Bones......I did my job, to bad they can't keep up. Your going to love it.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I retired 11 years ago, At 65. Wonderful way to live. I have two 70s, A trailer queen (one owner LS-5/M-22). And my fun car a 70 SS 468 Sta. Wgn. with a lot of upgrades. I stay very active, Play bass in a band 3-4 times a month.
Today I removed 9-4 tube light fixtures from the garage installing 9 new T-8 units with 4 tubes in each fixture. Went to the Steelers Ravens game last week.
My 6.2 1/2 ton is paid off, Along with the house. Maken payments on the wifes 2016 Sub. Forrester. When I go to the big car show in the sky !
I do not plan on having much money left............. WHY?
" Life is a one way street,,,,, Enjoy it " :thumbsup:
Bob

·
Registered
625 Posts
I retired almost 4 years ago at 49 after 30 years of working for the state prison system. Started my own corrections related business after I retired and sold it about 18 months ago. Now all I do is work on the '66, build wooden gear clocks, and hang out with the daughter and granddaughter. For sure retire as soon as possible, the hours are great and I've never had a better boss!

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
August 19th/2019 is my earliest retirement date. That will be after 35 years of railroading at 55 years old.. Still not sure what I will do, retire or go a few more years. I still like my job and my wife is 10 years younger than me so she can't retire for another 8 years. The nice part will be, being able to just decide not to go to work anymore. I guess I will decide when the time comes. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement and may you have many happy, years to enjoy it!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts