Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of restoring tail lamp lenses on a 1970 chevelle. What would be the best method to restore the dingy and scratched up surface? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
buy new Trim Part lenses

Reactions: HKalin

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Agreed. I've tried polishing lens with PlastX and a tiny electric buffer with little results.
I tried it all. Some look good for a little bit but soon look like they did before

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
treat it like paint.

sand with fine grit ending at about 5000
seen aircraft windshield kits with like 50,000 grit but you arent looking through them.

then clear to seal. GOOD CLEAR.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I've restored marker light & tail light lenses to look like new. It's actually not very difficult, but quite time consuming. If you have an original set of lenses that you want to reuse, it might be worth it.

First you need to evaluate how deep some of the deepest scratches are. If they are really deep, start with 220 or 320 wet sandpaper & take a tiny piece about the size of your finger tip & see if that starts to remove the scratch. If it does, keep working it until you think the next higher grit will almost make it disappear.

When all the deep scratches are gone sand the entire lens with the next highest grit. Hopefully 600 or 800. Then continue sanding with 1000, then 1500 until you reach 2000 or 2500. By that time the lens should be really smooth, but really dull in color.

I have a buffing motor with various wheels & compounds. Plastics can be polished with either a loose wheel or a string wheel. The string wheel is preferred. Plastic heats up quick, so remember to use light to no pressure while the motor is spinning. If you aren't careful, you can melt & destroy the lens is less than a second. BTDT. :(

70 lenses are going to be tricky with the raised edges, so you'll have to use a Dremel & a tiny polishing attachment. To be honest, they will probably be challenging, but very doable if you're patient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts