Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted to repaint a steering wheel (no cracks), and/or repaint a different color, what should I use? Regular automotive paint? BC/CC? Whats going to be the most durable.

Car will be manual steering too, so I need something not too slippery...

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Im following you around today, Tony

I think I would treat it as any other plastic piece and use SEM or maybe duplicolor plastikote and just make sure to scuff and prep well (I think they all carry an adhesion promoter) Not sure if clearcoat is needed or not, I always seem to have issues with CC adhesion on plastic parts and it looks like hell once it starts to peel. could be an application issue on my part though. Think a semi-flat or semi gloss by itself, few light coats would be fine.

Im not to up on automotive paints and such in terms of durabiity on materials other than metal but think the rattle cans would hold up fine and be durable unless you drive with spiked brass knuckles or something that would constantly scratch at it.

Eastwood and POR also sell steering wheel resto kits, maybe you could order from them and have them drop the glass / filler portions as well.

Just ideas

1 - 2 of 2 Posts