Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i think i basically just need 2 vent. i am at one of those points where funds are running a bit longer, the Malibu needs a lot of work done, and i am contemplating whether or not i can afford this expensive hobby of ours. i feel like i should go buy a droopy-eared dog and name him "Scooter", haha. i am just an average Joe, i can't do much more than change my oil or a replace a water pump, i have no major mechanical training. it gets kinda frustrating when i can't just go down in the garage and swap my own rear gears. everything i do has a price and someone else has 2 do it 4 me. and i can't spend a dime on the ride until the rent is paid. if i had my way, i would quit work and spend half my day cruising this site and half cruising in my Velle. this hobby is like a disease and i am hopeless. i guess i would feel better if i heard from some others out there in the same boat. i wake up everyday and dream of replacing the tired 350 with a nitrous 502, and rebuilding the front end myself so i could scoot around corners without swaying like a boat and ... oh well, ok, haha, enough... i am outta here, going 2 go work on the ride.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Perfect timming! I'll give ya 200 big ones for it. And! I'll throw in the dog of your choice.
But it hasta be complete.
Harley

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll give ya 300 big ones and I'll throw in two mini Dachshunds (housebroken)

------------------

–Joe454–
"67 Malibu"

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I know where ur coming from...I've got a 71 ragtop (you wanna talk about expensive parts and work that needs skilled (read expensive) labor....
I've had it 3 years now, it's still in 3 colors.
All I can say is take it a bit at a time and learn as you go. As a former teenage delinquent, I knew about most mechanical stuff, and 1st tackled the motor and running gear. I'm now learning the joys of bodywork-starting on redoing my rusty floors and trunk: Much scrubbing and sweating, however sandpaper and wire wheels aren't that much. The only part I won't be able to do is the actual painting. Might not look like a show car-but It'll be 98% all my work!
that's part of the fun of the hobby as I see it, learning how to do all these things. thank god we have alot of people here who can give good pointers when we get stuck! Keep at it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok I'll give you 350. plus my wif 5 kids 3 dogs 3 cats and a sqirrel named rocky....
Know exactally where your at even though I can do all of the work myself I don't have any time, but we shall over come... Gene....

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'll raise gene by fifty bucks and toss in a 16 year old siamese named Fang. Thats my best offer, oh all right, I'll take back the siamese

------------------
members.tripod.com/dfdolerjr

·
Registered
84 Posts
You owe it history to keep that Malibu warm while you patiently wait for the right moment in life to get on with it. Just visit it from time to time and let it know the day is coming. Maybe not now, maybe not soon, but someday..........

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
71boo,
Don't get too discouranged yet. Walk away for a while. When the spirit moves, come back to it. I'm working on a frame-off on a 69 SS. Going on 3 yrs. now but getting closer (I think). It's tough but it's mine!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hey boo71, I went through the same feelings you are experiencing just keep the car the light will shine in time. Where do you live maybe one of us can cruise you around and show you some motivation to see what days to look forward to. If you have a dream stay with it and they will come true, you are half way there. Hang in there chief.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hahaha, ok ok , i get the point , i guess i just needed the motivation. i just came back from outside with the Chevelle. every time i look at it i see a diamond in the rough. but enough of that, the bidding was getting pretty interesting...... who was that sacrificing his wife.... got pics??

·
Gold Founding Member
1,347 Posts
Keep with it dont look at what needs to be done look at whats donenow my 69 is taking forever I am having a friend do work on it because I have no space to do it I also really can not tear it apart and leave it apart because my drive way is to close to the street but I plan on finishing it I found out yesterday that the body shop that hung the 1/4s will not paint it so I may strip it and prep it a little at atime whereverI can I know it will take time but stick with it

·
Registered
287 Posts
Time, Money, Knowledge are things we all have to work against. It took me 7 long, painfull and very ANXIOUS years to finish my ride. I couldn't do it all myself and some had to be farmed out. "read $$$". But in the end, was it worth it... An absolutely resounding YES! Getting there was hard, but there was absolutely no way that I can describe the feeling of bolting on the plates, turning the key and going for the maiden run! It was just awesome to have it finally done! It also took two weeks to get rid of the goofy grin on my puss.

Hang in there!

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350
WebSite www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know where you're coming from. I've been about a year and a half on my El Camino. It's a daily driver still in primer. I can do almost all my own work, but money is what slows me down. I've been unemployed for awhile (luckily I have a Navy retirement check every month) and the wife just got laid off. It does seem at times that you never get ahead with the chevelle, but in time you will. I too, at times, say forget it, sell it, and buy a mini-truck that doesn't eat me out of house and home on gas. But, all have to is start up the Elky, cruise for a mile or two, and thoughts go away. I call it my "time machine" as it takes me back to my younger days when it was a lot simpler all around. Anyway, hang in there, it'll all come together.

·
Registered
48 Posts
are we realated? boy this guy sounds just like me, my 69 sat outside my garage for 11 yrs. you can imagine the shape it was in, with my kids all grown up, it was time to take on the chevelle, well it's been two yrs. and almost 90% finished, had a lot of help from my friends, but i'm broke, but i'll figure out a way to finish this car even if i have to, take a fourth mortage, sell my truck, cut grass, stand on a corner with a pair of dark sunglasses and a cup, one way or another i'm gonna finish this car!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hang with it, you'll be glad you did. I am done with the frame and suspension on mine, but still staring at another year or two of body, interior work, lots of the little things, etc. I have to admit I just raided the 401K to get a lump big enough to get my hands on a 454HO, don't let my wife find out! I want to drive this thing while I can still quailify for a license! (41 going on 19). Go to the cruise nights, etc. and make some friends there, I know if they are anything like the folks here, they will lend a hand to help with the things you are weak on. Good luck.
John

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Doing a frame off on a 66 Malibu. Nothing special about the car to warrant a frame off but I just want it clean and right. It was originally a six with PG, bench seat, now is mild 350 with 4 speed, buckets and console. What gets me is every two steps forward it seems like I have to take one step backwards and two steps sideways. Kind of hard to map the progress I'm making. Plus, all of my friends cars are done and I'm still working on mine. I get this big guilt thing going when I'm not working on it. The body is done, original Artesian Turquiose and beautiful. The bumpers are rechromed, all of the stainless and aluminum is either replaced or redone. The frame and drivetrain are rebuilt and together but I'm going to swap out the close ratio muncie with a wide ratio before I finish it. It's still got drum brakes on the front but I have a complete disk brake setup all cleaned up and painted ready to go on. I was going to wait unitl I got the car running but think I might as will do it now. Now i discover there might be a problem in using the original bench seat mounts for the buckets. Oh well, it's worth it.

------------------
Bob Murray 66 Malibu
TC Gold #49
Aces #01941
NCOA #20838

W

·
0 Posts
71boo, for me 75% of the fun is working on these cars. I was fresh out of high school when the factory super cars hit the streets, man it was awesome. I grew up with these cars and now that I have the space and the money to do my 67, I don't have the time. My car sits in jacks, front clip off stripped to the bare frame. Boxes of new parts are all over the place. I have spent 76 nights on the road this year and have more to do.

Don't loose the faith, my car has been in the family for 17 years, and it will remain there until it's finished.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
20 Posts
71boo,

Anyone can go out and buy a car already restored/built.(or so we keep telling ourselves) It takes someone with a true love of the car to go through the pain and agony/joy and excitement (it's one of those half empty/half full things) we do to do it ourselves. You did a good thing venting, now back to those dreams.

Rickster
67 SS 396
TC Gold 257

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys, I feel much better *sigh of relief*, OK back outside to work on the Velle some more............

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.