Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a good website to explain the fundamentals on how a starter in a mid 60s Chevelle works. Ie which side of the solenoid is + and -, what voltage is sent down the starter wire to the solenoid to engage the starter etc.
I am having problems getting any starter to turn my engine over, have tried two. The starter does pull a bunch of amps, but no turning, not even a click from the solenoid.

HELP

nebulous

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The terminal close to the motor is for the start wire. It should have voltage when the key is turned to the start position.

The other small terminal would connect to the coil.

It sounds to me like the voltage is dropping to the point that the solenoid won't energize. Try a screwdriver between the large post and the small one beside the motor. If that doesn't fix it then you have a starter problem or a problem with the large cables from the battery.

Peter

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I guess I should also have said that if the screwdriver fixes the problem then you have a bad connection somewhere between the battery and the starter. It could be under the hood or under the dash. Follow the red wire from the battery to the key and the purple wire from the key to the starter. Check the connectors and switches.

Peter

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah, I did try this, lotsa sparks but no turning. What did work on the first starter was hitting it with a tire-iron while someone else turned the key, but only once. The new starter I put in sunday did exactly the same thing.

nebulous

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.