Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If at all possible I would like to hear how some of the aftermarket gear sets for M22's sound compared to the originals. One of these days I plan to build an M22 out of a standard Muncie case. I think that using aftermarket gears (with same ratios) would be an easier ,and cheaper, route to go.

So if someone would be so kind as to post up some of your M22 sounds it would be much appreciated. :beers:

G

·
If at all possible I would like to hear how some of the aftermarket gear sets for M22's sound compared to the originals. One of these days I plan to build an M22 out of a standard Muncie case. I think that using aftermarket gears (with same ratios) would be an easier ,and cheaper, route to go.

So if someone would be so kind as to post up some of your M22 sounds it would be much appreciated. :beers:
I don't know anyone with a exhaust system that's quite enough:D:D

Trust me, they are every bit as noisy as the stock gears since they are a direct replacement for GM gears.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Mine aren't as loud as I thought they would be but I also have sound deadener, padding and the thick rubber floor. Although I do hear them and it is very cool, especially under acceleration.

BTW, I am running the Italian made gears.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
We have an M21 in our Chevelle and it whines just a little. A friend's COPO Chevelle came with the M22. While it did whine, it was nothing like the whine from these camshaft gear drives. It was not loud enough to ever be irritating, just loud enough to let you know that it was there.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One day when I drove the '70 to a gun shop a guy inside said he could hear the gear drive. I told him it wasn't a gear drive, it was the M22 four speed. He said he was restoring a '70 L78 Chevelle.

I've heard gear drives. I don't really like the sound. At least with the rock crusher you lose the whine once you enter fourth gear.

G

·
The gear drive is also called the poor mans blower. They make a quite version of the gear drive, not very popular.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts