Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had nothing but bad luck with all the repo body parts & trim I've purchased. Lately, I will only buy original stuff & refurbish it for my 66 SS396 restoration.

What I'm wondering is, what kind of quality do the reproduction emblems & badges have? It just seems like they would be pretty hard to screw up. Should I get mine redone, or get repos?

After getting nothing but Chinese junk for the aluminum trim, and sending it all back, I'm very skeptical of any repo body trim piece.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
When buying make sure emblems are made by Trim-Parts, Not all aftermarket companys sell Trim-Parts emblems, Year-One sells emblems made by Trim-Parts and I was very happy with quality of them.

Rocky Hill

------------------
A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

My66SS

·
Registered
636 Posts
I got mine from an unnamed source, but sent them all back and bought from Year One. The 70 trunk emblem was made of cheap plastic, not meta like the original, and the 70 fender "SS" mounting tabs were about 1/8" from being right. I have found that the only way to get good stuff on a regular basis is to buy from Year One.

------------------
Mat Ellison
Lincoln, Ne
70 SS 396 Chevelle
62 Impala Sport Coupe
ACES #2424

·
Registered
622 Posts
Trim Parts are good, but even those are not always a PERFECT fit. Mine came with a disclaimer about variation in manufacturing and original mounting holes etc etc.
The hood and trunk letters are probably the worst due to lots of holes / slots/ etc..
Mine took minor modification to get em exact.Some still aren't perfect. I doubt even original stuff will always fit exactly from car to car.
Don't expect perfection, but also don't accept junk like plastic.Trim parts are good.

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!
http://chevelles.com/showroom/alelcaminofront.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/al4/alcamino64/index.html

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I will concure that Trim Parts makes fine products. Even the original GM stuff can be disappointing if you are expecting perfection.
Now, if you are looking for trim that is not being reproduced and NOS isn't available there is a place (I'll have to look it up) that can make a casting from an original emblem, even if it's broken. The place specializes in Beaumont emblems. They're somewhere here in southern Ontario.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I will concure that Trim Parts makes fine products. Even the original GM stuff can be disappointing if you are expecting perfection.
Now, if you are looking for trim that is not being reproduced and NOS isn't available there is a place (I'll have to look it up) that can make a casting from an original emblem, even if it's broken. The place specializes in Beaumont emblems. They're somewhere here in southern Ontario.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
Cam, Could you repeat that? I didn't hear you.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
934 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 66 MYSTERY CHEVELLE:
I always say, get the best you can for now, but always keep an eye open for NOS...though even NOS will have it's flaws...the "O" in NOS is for OLD.

keep snatching up those E-bay ones...

Mike

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just be careful about NOS too. These pieces were sitting around all these years and if that's not bad enough, alot seem to have problems like maybe they were rejects from years ago. I had quite a few moldings that had major blemishes/damage with them.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 C10 stepside 350
1971 Cheyenne 20 3/4 ton

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status