Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group. I am getting to a point on the wifes 66 to where I need to decide on the dash pad. I have been getting all my parts from James Hinshaw but he does not want to sell me a reproduction dash pad. He says they do not fit well and they do not look right. Any one out there got an opinion on this? This is not a concours restoration I am doing. It is frame off and I want to make the interior look as good as possible but paying Just Dashes 400.00 for this part of the project was not in the plans.

Thanks in advance,
John Weaver

·
Registered
764 Posts
Just my $.02, but I think the repro pads are very poor. The overall shape of it is not the exactly the same as the original, especially on the ends of the dash. The bull nose edge at the front is not correct either. I had one on me car for a year, and hated it. Finally sent my original to "just dashes" and spent the $$ for a quality recovering. All depends on how fussy you are I guess.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
John. Mine came from OPG, because I needed a red one. Almost all others I had seen advertised were black.

The original one has a metal base, wheres the repro has a fiber one. 3 studs were out of place (app. 1/4 "). The fiber has been coverd with some kind of foam and in the corners this foam got in the way. On top of that the curving of the fiber in the corners was off too http://www.si.hhs.nl/~rob/images/scanned/315d_ass_dsh_pad.jpg

The final result as far as the looks http://www.si.hhs.nl/~rob/images/scanned/569d_ass_dash2.jpg is acceptable, but I would not order one once again.

Rob

·
Registered
149 Posts
My repo was just like Rob's. The studs are not correctly placed. I had to enlarge the holes in the dash carrier & use washers underneath. Also the curves around the ends don't match the carrier properly. All in all I'm not happy with it.

Mike Sibbitt
66 396 SS

·
Premium Member
17,420 Posts
I also got mine from OPG (in Bright Blue)...

I do remember having some fitment problems, but not enough to remember...

Its really like everything else, you get what you pay for...

I am happy with mine, especially for the price (I think they are now under $140?). While not perfect, I have never had anyone complain (friends, family, etc)... I guess if you really inspect it, not the best, but I would buy one again (I am not doing any concours restos, just drivers...)...

·
Registered
848 Posts
i got mine in light blue for my 65 from OPG. Getting it go to fit was crazy. It also doesn't sit exatacly right.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replys. My only delima is I do not have a core to send to just dashes. I had to go to local junk yard to search for some parts for my headliner (luckily James Hinshaw sent me in the right direction on how to fix it)and he had a pad that was in horrible shape and wanted 75.00 for it. It sounds like if you spend the extra money, it is worth it but this will be a driver and I have the dash completely gutted so I can hopefully make the adjustments needed to make a reproduction look good.

Thanks,
John Weaver

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, after reading the post about the reproduction pieces, That was my exact intention. I put a bid for one on e-bay, but got out bid. I did not get one with the car when I bought it. I can get one out of a local junk yard but they want 100.00 and it is rough. I will keep my eyes open for one but I will be needing one within the next 3 months.

Thanks,
John Weaver

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
slopar, I have an original that is a 8 on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being NOS, its black, I was saving it for my 66 SS frame off car, but I sold the car before I ever used it. Nothing beats original fit. I will take $300 shipped if interested and can provide you with pics if you would like. Email me if interested.

Thanks

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Redelky, thanks for posting about the pad. I had not checked this post lately and the auction ended. I e-mailed the guy to see if he still has it.

Thanks,
John Weaver

1 - 15 of 15 Posts