Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
Repro bumpers SUCK!!! At least the rear ones anyway. I don't think it matters where you get them from. I bought three brand new, and everyone of the three fit differently, and none of them fit right. My 1970 rear valence piece didn't match up correctly to any one of the three rear bumpers either. There were big gaps left between the rear bumper(s) and the valence piece that showed plenty of daylight. I had to pay a very good body man more $$ to modify the valence piece to make it match up good to the rear bumper than it cost me for any of the bumpers.

He cut shark gills in the valence piece to alter it's contour to match one of the three inaccurate bumpers I had, then filled in the gaps with body filler, sanded and re-painted it with the matching touch-up paint I supplied.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you were going for perfect fit and finish, in either a restoration or Restomod or even a full custom I’d go with a regular reproduction with basic chrome only because you would want to section, fit and weld (then re-chrome) them.
The ones we got (I believe were either AMD or Goodmark) are junk.
Fit is terrible. Finish is terrible. Chrome, specifically the polish underneath (if there was any) is terrible. But the idea is to get them fitted tight and “show-chromed” later.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Who makes the best reproduction bumpers?
Thanks!
I just bought a goodmark brand for a 66 chevelle. Havnt put it on yet .
Did a fair ammount of research prior to choosing this one .
After market body parts are allways a crap shoot for sure .

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
I have a AMD front bumper and its perfect and a rear Restoparts bumper that's crap!

·
Registered
203 Posts
So they make rear70 bumpers with the pad installed?
And what is the quality?
Do they still do show chrome at good mark?
Thank you

21 - 26 of 26 Posts