Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,638 Posts
:cool: You should be able to locate original bumpers, even if you need to get them re-chromed you'll be happier with originals. The metal used in the reproduction bumpers is far thinner...

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle, MJ 467, 600hp/600tq, Moser 12 bolt M22Z muncie
757 Posts
:cool: You should be able to locate original bumpers, even if you need to get them re-chromed you'll be happier with originals. The metal used in the reproduction bumpers is far thinner...
I respectfully disagree. The re-pop front bumper I bought was the same gage as my 1970 original.

·
Premium Member
16,747 Posts
No it's not. It's also a better alloy than the metal used 40-50 years ago. This is just a metallurgy comparison. Fit/finish and chrome plating procedure is another story.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Goodmark is my sister company and I do a lot of work with them. I just installed a set of their bumpers on my 1971 Chevelle. The big difference is we own our own chroming plant, so although our bumpers are offshore like everyone else, we chrome them in the US which calls for a much nicer finish, I was very impressed with the Fit and Finish. I will say, reuse your own bumper brackets, the repops just didn't work out right for me, bent very easily, some of the holes were off, etc. I ended up junking them and blasting/painting my old ones.

In regards to the size, they are basically the same gauge steel thickness, what makes them a thinner gauge if you want to say that is that offshore uses the metric measurement system vs the SAE we use.... very minute unnoticeable difference.

Highly recommend the Goodmarks.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Goodmark is my sister company and I do a lot of work with them. I just installed a set of their bumpers on my 1971 Chevelle. The big difference is we own our own chroming plant, so although our bumpers are offshore like everyone else, we chrome them in the US which calls for a much nicer finish, I was very impressed with the Fit and Finish. I will say, reuse your own bumper brackets, the repops just didn't work out right for me, bent very easily, some of the holes were off, etc. I ended up junking them and blasting/painting my old ones.

In regards to the size, they are basically the same gauge steel thickness, what makes them a thinner gauge if you want to say that is that offshore uses the metric measurement system vs the SAE we use.... very minute unnoticeable difference.

So the Goodmarks are chromed in the US?

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,638 Posts
No it's not. It's also a better alloy than the metal used 40-50 years ago. This is just a metallurgy comparison. Fit/finish and chrome plating procedure is another story.
:cool: Just speaking from personal experience: Bought a Repop Front Bumper, and was highly dissatisfied with the poor overall quality. Didn't buy 'em all to compare, but the one I did buy is on a shelf in the garage.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Who all sales the Goodmark bumpers?

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,699 Posts
I believe Summit sells Goodmark bumpers. For '69's and maybe some other years Summit sells two different grades of repro front bumpers. IIRC one is around $200 and the better one around $300. I've read the more expensive one is very nice. Maybe Notalent can chime in on this?

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Goodmark is my sister company and I do a lot of work with them. I just installed a set of their bumpers on my 1971 Chevelle. The big difference is we own our own chroming plant, so although our bumpers are offshore like everyone else, we chrome them in the US which calls for a much nicer finish,
The 69 bumper highlighted in the Summit link above says "Premium Quality, chromed in the USA" but, the Ad for Goodmark bumpers for a 65 on the Summit site does not have that statement - and, they're much cheaper. Does that mean the 65 bumpers are not chromed on the U.S.? If that's so, does it mean we can't count on good fit and finish?

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
They do offer two different series of bumpers....the offshore Chrome and the USA Chrome. Here is the link for the 1969 Chevelle bumpers. Top is USA, bottom is offshore chrome. Ill tell ya, that USA chrome is nice! They even offer Repair and Chrome on your original bumpers as well if you want, you have to go thru goodmark for this, we own a bumper plant that specializes in this. After seeing the repops though vs sending mine in...I was more than happy with how the repop turned out and the $ I saved.

http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/c-1645-front-or-rear-bumper.aspx

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Not a bad price considering a local shop (who does do great work) wanted $700 to chrome mine. MIne as a little spot on it where like a moron I let a jumper wire that was hot touch it and make a spark and now I have a little mark. Driving me nuts!
I am not sure if my bumpers are original or repop so hate spending money on chroming what may be a repop and not spending $700 to do it.

·
Premium Member
16,747 Posts
Not a bad price considering a local shop (who does do great work) wanted $700 to chrome mine. MIne as a little spot on it where like a moron I let a jumper wire that was hot touch it and make a spark and now I have a little mark. Driving me nuts!
I am not sure if my bumpers are original or repop so hate spending money on chroming what may be a repop and not spending $700 to do it.
Tri city plating will do yours for $375 and it had a lifetime guarantee. I've been using them for years.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
The question was regarding reproduction bumpers I know... but I wouldn't use anyone other than Tri-City Plating on an OEM bumper.
Excellent quality!

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Bought some repo 69 front and rear from AMD . They were the same thickness and fit great and the chrome is pretty nice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts