Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the new reproduction clocks any better than the originals? I'm going to change my 70 SS dash to gauges, I'll add a clock if they are any better than the originals but I hate to spend money just to have it quit 6 months from now.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Ron, understandable that if your going to do it, do it right. The original clocks in the 70's were one of the first things to give up the ghost. The new clocks for the most part have a quartz movement and are far more dependable. You can have an original converted by a competent service and have the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Bought a new quartz replacement clock about 4 years ago. Works flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I had my org. 70 - SS clock REBUILT by the CLOCKWORKS, I was to F#@$EN boneheaded to go to QUARTZ ! The Clock lasted ALMOST 7 months.
Dont be an AZZ like me go QUARTZ. Every time I am in my 70 and look at the clock, Its a Whiskey,,Tango,, Foxtrot ...Moment or WTF.

Bob

·
Premium Member
7,453 Posts
Add a switch to the clock circuit, shut the switch off when you park your car or pull the fuse.

When the battery gets weak from sitting the contacts on the clock don't work as they should and can cause the clock to fail.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Bottom line is:
When the clock spring needs re/wound, The points close and power the winding motor. When the Batt. is low the points STICK and FRY the motor.
AGAIN I was a dummy for " NOT " going Quartz.
Bob

·
Registered
220 Posts
On the same subject the 70-72 Repro quartz clocks look & sound great except for the plastic hands. I know its hard to tell the difference but I know. Has anyone swapped original metal hands to new repro clock with good results?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts