Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fusebox in my car has definitely seen better days... How difficult would it be to replace the fuse box with an ATO box from Painless Wiring? On that subject, has anyone used Painless Wiring's entire kit for Chevelles? If they have, any thoughts on it? I don't really want to rewire the whole car, but if that's the best way to do it, I will. Thanks for any input you all can offer and Merry Christmas

------------------
Patrick M
My Website
1972 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I'm about to go offshore for a week, so I won't be able to offer any follow-ups until then.

I put an ATO fusebox in my Elky. It's one of the less expensive ones that I ordered from Jegs. I forget the brand name.

Anyway, I just removed the original fuseblock, blocked off the hole with a piece of aluminum, and installed the new fuse panel.

Made my own wiring harnesses and rewired the entire car top to bottom, front to back, with several different colors and a few different gauges of automotive wiring I purchased by the roll. I did the whole job for around $200, including fuse panel, switches, and connectors. I even replaced the taillight sockets in the housings.

The painless kit would have been much easier. But I've heard of many people who found the painless kits to be a bit of a "pain".

You'll also hear that the best way is to go with M&H wiring. I think they're absolutely right for 99% of the people.

I'm just one who likes to think "outside the box".

------------------
My Web Page (updated 11-24-01)

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

[This message has been edited by cjlandry (edited 12-25-2001).]

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Patrick, You may want to get in touch with M&H and see what they offer, there are many here that say that Painless Wiring is anything but painless. The website for M&H is www.wiringharness.com Hope this helps.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. M&H doesn't have anything with an ATO fuse box, not to mention my car is long gone from any stock wiring in the engine bay. So I may most likely take my chances with the Painless set up. If there's anyone out there who has first hand experience with the painless kit, I'd very much appreciate their thoughts on it. Thanks.

------------------
Patrick M
My Website
1972 Chevelle Malibu

1 - 4 of 4 Posts