Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
What's needed to replace the cracked bell housing on my "bone stock" Concourse wagon? It has a 350ci w/ a 4 speed trans.
welcome to the site
where is the cracked area??
you would want to know if you have the large flywheel or small one
as large w/n fit in bellhousing made for the small flywheel

you want a car bellhousing not a truck model due to retainer bearing opening size:|

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I would not replace the broken bellhousing. A better solution would be to sell it to me , I just love Sta. Wgns. :wink2::wink2:
How I do it is. Put a small piece of plywood that is covered with some old carpet under the oil pan, And jack it up " JUST A BIT " To remove the weight from the rear transmission crossmember. ( you can also bend a flat piece of iron like an S shape and safety chain the engine ( to the cowl)by using exhaust manifold bolts, Intake bolts. Just in case your jack LEAKS ) Then drop the D. Shaft, Crossmember pull the tranny, linkage and a bunch of bolts,,.May have some wiring & clips on the right side of the bellhousing.
I would inspect the clutch & P. plate & pilot bearing. May want to install a clutch and other parts T.O. Bearing???? NOTE: Inspect all parts for wear & damage , Important!
Just a lot of work and it may take some time. Go SLOW, Be carefull.
If you have a problem get an old Chiltons book or something to help you out or ask questions here.
I have done this type of work a lot and may have left some steps out.
You may have to dial in the replacement Bell.
Bob

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Like Bob said, it is a good idea to look at the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing and clutch release arm very carefully while the bellhousing is removed. If any of these components are in question, replace everything.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can you just have yours welded back up? Weld it on the inside and put a light weld on the outside and grind it smooth.

Reactions: Steve R

·
Registered
1970 SS 396 25-C, 1966 SS R-R
855 Posts
I would also remove the fan shroud and slide it back over the fan and remove the distributor cap and rotor just in case something went wrong.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,281 Posts
What's needed to replace the cracked bell housing on my "bone stock" Concourse wagon? It has a 350ci w/ a 4 speed trans.
Original 4-speed wagon? Interesting. I wonder how many of those were built?

How about some photos? :D

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,716 Posts
Can you just have yours welded back up? Weld it on the inside and put a light weld on the outside and grind it smooth.
I had a Muncie trans case TIG welded once. Cost about $30. Grind a vee groove along the crack both sides.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Original 4-speed wagon? Interesting. I wonder how many of those were built?

How about some photos? :D
My dad had a 70 wagon he bought new. 350/300 hp, 4 speed, disk brakes, and a 12 bolt. He custom ordered it and THEN had the 3 series carrier replaced at the dealer with a 4.11. This is how it was delivered.

Reactions: davewho1
1 - 9 of 9 Posts