Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I called up American Autowire to order a orginal style fuse box and they told me they wouldn't recommend pulling all the wires out to replace the fuse box because when the installing the original wires back, you have to be real careful and need to do it a certain way the factory would do it. Has anyone ever done this? Do you think it's safe? My harness is in pretty good shape for 40 years old. I just need the box because all my terminals are rusty and it keeps on blowing up fuses. thanks, Eric

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I did mine that way. the harness was fine but all the fuse terminals were rusty like yours. I made a drawing of how all the wires were put into the fuse block and took them out one at a time and write down the order. It wasn't hard just time consuming. But to save $200.00 or what ever a harness costs. I'd do it again. I think the block cost about $80.00 but that was 7 years ago. When I got the car all back together the only thing I couldn't get to work was the 4-way flashers.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah they did offer me to restore my old harness for $170 bucks, I thought they were just trying to make money at first. I'm gonna have my old friend do it because he knows exactly what to do, he's like 80 years old and been doing old car since he was 15 he told me. I'll probably let him do it because I don't want to mess anything up. thanks, I was worried for a minute.
Eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts