Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was rummaging around and found my original posi carrier for my 64 chevelle.

How can I tell if the old posi carrier out of the original rear is good or bad with it outside the rear end housing?

It was pulled becuase the ring gear was damaged sometime in the early 90's. Was told that it needed new axles at that time so I bought a open rear from a salvage yard and thats what is in the car today.

I also have aquired a set of 3.08:1 used gears that I would like to install at the same time. Currently have either 3:36 or 3:55, can't remember which. Do I need to replace all bearings in the rear? Do I need to replace the axel bearings, or would it just be wise to do so at this time? Anyone suggest the best "install kit" for this type of job?

I am trying to get a posi rear at an economy price since I have the old parts available. Do not plan on drag racing, just want to cruise and spin the tires a little every once in a while.

Anyone have any advice?

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
If they are both the same ring gear diameter, you can do the swap. You can even keep the steeper gear if you want.

I don't know how to test the posi out of the car, but if it worked back then, it should still work.

I used a Richmond instal kit for my 12 bolt, maybe they make one for a 10 bolt? And, as long as the axles are out, I'd do axle bearings and seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts