Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i still have the stock points distributor installed... but have a HEI ready to go in. few questions... some of them most likely painfully simple...

1) since i still have the old one in... is there an easy way to mark it so i know where to drop the new one in? that is... so i can skip the step of pulling the #1 plug to find TDC and be able to essentially just drop the new one in?

2) the old one has what looks like 3 leads going to the coil... i have a brown/black looking one on one side (battery i assume?) ... then what looks like 2 yellows to the other side... that is ... it looks like the yellow is looping through as both are connected to the other side. yellow is the tach connection... right? does it stay looped like that on the new one? i am going to have to put new ends on the wires to make them fit onto the new HEI... and curious why i have 2 yellows.

3) the instructions stress the importance of bypassing the ballast resistor or resistor wire on the battery connection in order to get a full 12V... how is that done? i assume i am indeed running with ballast resistor or resistor wire... i suppose a multimeter would let me know if i dont have 12V... but how do i do the bypassing part?

thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so skip the yellow wires entirely? and run a new wire right to the fuse block... unplugging whatever is there currently?

the black wire currently on the coil goes where? to the tach terminal on the new HEI? i do have a tach in the factory cluster.

thanks!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The yellow and striped wire presently on coil (+) are not used with the HEI. Tape them up and tie them back.
The black wire on coil (-), the one that heads into the points distributor, gets removed when you pull the distributor out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay. that all makes sense now. thanks.

is there an easy place to run the wire through the firewall that i am missing somehow? or would just tapping a hole be easiest?

also... i put the new HEI in... and its about 1/2" short of going all the way in. the rotor is currently lined up to where the old one was though. i've wigged it around a bit and it hasn't fallen in farther or anything. it's pretty loose in there. ideas?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Make sure you've got a good sized wire (at least 10 gauge) powering your HEI. I don't recall exactly which existing hole I used for mine, but there are several grommetted holes already there. If you can find a convenient one to use...there you are. If you need to cut a hole MAKE SURE YOU USE A GROMMET to protect the wire.

As far as the distributor not seating. Make sure the oil pump drive shaft's slot is lining up with the dowel at the bottom of your distributor. Look down inside the hole where you're dropping the distributor...it's deep down there and very dark so you might need a flashlight. When you set your distributor in place, it turns as it engages the camshaft gear...the slot on top of the oil pump shaft must line up with where your distributor will ultimately end up. Just turn it with your oil pump priming tool, or a long screw driver. Set in your distributor...don't force it...if you're lined up right it will fall right in and your distributor will set right down onto the intake manifold. Good luck.

SKIP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts