Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of replacing the pan under my rear seat & the pan that runs between the rear wheel wells & the brace in this area (the 4th brace if you will). I don't know who is familiar with this area, but the rear seat pan has a lip on the top this lip originally is under the lip on the brace and then the pan between the wheel wells sets on top of the brace and it is all spot welded together so that the brace is sandwiched between the sheetmetal. Who around here has replaced the above mentioned sheetmetal and if you did did you just lay all the sheetmetal over the brace and weld it up that way(the easier way) ? Or did you put it back the original way. This is a 66 that will be a driver. Does anyone foresee any problems (structural problems) not welding it up as it originall came.

·
Registered
579 Posts
just replaced that same pan in my 72, i cut pan out and installed it exactly the way the factory had it. it was sandwiched on the sides i cut the sides out and rewelded them back together, i kept it underneath in the back and welded it in. in the front i met the two pieces together no overlap and it was in the middle of the brace. here are some pics.

·
Registered
579 Posts
tips, i used a 1/8 cut off wheel in grinder to remove old panel, buy a 3/8 spot weld cutter to cut spot welds out, also used a 5/16 cutter to cut new sheetmetal for spotwelds. i cut old floor pan across the top in back and the used a grinding wheel to remove spot welds on flange that was left. good luck with pan replacement, if you have any questions post them here i will check it each night and pics of progress.. tony.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts