Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i really need to replace my ignition cylinder... cuz if im gonna drive my car to school next year, i would rather it not be as easy to steal as it is...

i can start the car without the key...
and im worried that someone could easilly get into the door ( i dont imagine it would be difficult) and VERY easily steal my baby...

where can i get a replacement, and how hard will it be to replace?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
What year Chevelle do you have? If it is before 1969 I can't help.

But if you have a 1969 to 1978, the GM lock cylinder part number is 20071252. It is available from any GM dealer. The lock cylinder is the same if you have a tilt or if you have a standard (non-adjustable) column. This lock cylinder has a spring loaded, wedge shaped, metal tab that engages a slot inside the steering column head.

If you have a 1979 or later vehicle, the GM lock cylinder part number is 7830380. This lock cylinder is retained in the steering column by a screw in the steering column that engages a notch in the lock cylinder. This lock cylinder is also available through any GM dealer.

If you need assistance in disassembling your steering column, you can eMail me at [email protected]. I am a recently retired steering system engineer from Delphi Saginaw (formerly Saginaw Steering Gear Division, GMC). I have instructions and sketches on disassembling and repairing the Saginaw (1969 through mid 1980's) steering columns.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
If the lock is in the column, then any parts store would have one for about $15. The steering wheel needs to be pulled and the lock plate, too.A Haynes manual can be a big help in showing you where to poke to release the locking device.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you so much, and its a 1970, so we're good to go, about how much do these cylinders cost?

------------------
1970 Chevelle Malibu with a 400sb and a th350.. 3.08 non-posi.. Corbeau Buckets..

G

·
I'll just add my .02 to this (I did my lock a few months ago). You'll definitely need a lock plate tool (Avail. at most parts stores) to remove the lock plate. It seems hard the first time, but after you figure it out the first time, it's not too hard at all.

------------------
Patrick M
My Website
1972 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The special "bridge" tool that is used to compress the lock plate can usually be borrowed from NAPA, PEP Boys, and other automotive shops. Or if you have a friend with strong thumbs, you can dig the round wire snap ring out of the steering shaft groove while he/she compresses the lock plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts