Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you guys can help me, this little problem has been bothering me for awhile.

I need the two horns for my '70 chevelle. When I check a supplier like year one, the horns they list are generic and I think are a different tone. I don't want to buy used, they seem to be too old (the horns on my '72 cutlass are bad too).

Now I have a wierd thought, are the correct tone horns not available due to regulation changes? I'm thinking the new regs require a certain tone and the old horns are different. Its kinda like the rear view mirror. On chevelles they have a chrome face, which is now illegal on new cars. Thats why when you see replacement mirrors in year one they have a note to be used for show only. is this the same for horns?

I just don't want to buy new horns that sound like a damn import car! If you bought new horns that sound like the old style (i don't want a train horn) where did you get them?

any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Your old horns, if they emit any sound at all, are probably ok.

There is a little knob on top of each horn that you can turn with a pair of pliers to change the sound. Yours are probably just set "wrong".

·
Registered
388 Posts
Xtreme, Thanx, you just answered the question I was about to post about what the little screw was on my horns.Now that I know they are tone adjusters, I have another question: Do these types of horns ever stop working "freeze up" and then start working again?Reason I ask is because my horns worked last summer and now neither one will.Used a testlight to the pos+ battery and the ground on both were good but no sound.Does water effect them any?

MS2364- sorry to jump in on your post but I fear I'm about to find myself in the same situation as you searching for the right new ones....

------------------
Joel
T/C#980 1968 SS396 CHEVELLE

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Actually, the horn can become intermittant. I have that problem as we speak. Inside the horn is a set of contacts which vibrate, causing the diaphram to vibrate. At times, the contacts aren't making contact, usually because of oxidation or arcing. Sometimes, if you jump the offending horn directly to the positive terminal of the battery, you can restore operation of the horn by tapping it with a tool. The final solution would be drilling out the old rivets and taking the horn apart, cleaning the contacts.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
576,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Jerry is right, most of the time you can fix your old horn by tapping it on the side with a wrench or small hammer while the realy is made.

Both the horns on my 67 were frozen up when I bought it, only took about 10 minutes of persuasion to get them both back operational

------------------
67 396
SS clone

Homepage

·
Registered
436 Posts
I shot a ton of aerokroil into my horns, let em soak and they worked the next day.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
DO NOT turn the knob on top of the horn.
Unless you know what you're doing when you turn it.
That "knob" is used to adjust the ampereage the horn draws thus setting its tone.
about a year ago I posted the correct settings for my 70 Olds I would assume the Chevys would be set the same.
Please do a search for that post before melting your wiring

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
You can never fix a Ford,You can only work on them alot.
70 442
The Z-meano
Cowl induction injection

·
Registered
934 Posts
If yours don't work, hit the junkyard and get another pair. Sure their old but nothing wrong with that. Older is better anyway...

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 C10 stepside 350
1971 Cheyenne 20 3/4 ton
Somebody stop me... :)

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

The 348/409 Chevrolet forum