Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to save some $$ and take out my old control arm bushings and put in my new polyurethane ones by myself. This is for a 65 chevelle. I already have the control arms off the car, so I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to get the old bushings out, and to get the new ones in. Also, I would like to do the same thing for the lower ball joints.

any suggestions?

thanks
Joe

------------------
1965 Chevelle SS

·
Registered
203 Posts
You'll need a press. I don't know of any other way that doesn't risk screwing your control arms up.

Many machine shops will do this for you at a price.

RLK

------------------
70SS LS6 coupe
71SS LS5 elk
72SS LS5 convertible
Member #918

·
Registered
666 Posts
I always do these myself without a press. I know it is not the best way to do it but when you change them as much as we do, it's cheaper and I have never had a problem with the bushings getting damaged. I just take a socket that fits between the gap (so the arm doesn't collapse), then with a air chissle I crush the bushing from the side. This will help get rid of the interfernce fit, then with a good size hammer I just knock them out. Then the ball joints you can hit really hard on top with a hammer to remove them. When you put them back, install the ARMs and then put a Socket on the jacks top that is the same size as the outter edge. Jack the car up so that it loads up the ball joint, and use the air chissle with a Hammer Bit and walk it all the way around the ball joint. Sometimes I use the hammer to help it. This is not the best way to do it, but if you can't afford to pay for someone to press them you can do it with some simple tools. I've done at least 20 (you damage a few when you race circle track, we even do them at the track when you break a ball joint or something) arms this way, and haven't had a problem with them at all. I have even done them on mine and my brothers Chevelles. This does take longer and is harder then paying but if you have the time and patients, but it can be done. I send out as little as I can. Around here it is $8 in and $8 out for each item, so that almost $70 for the set, for something that really isn't that hard. It just takes time

------------------
383 SBC 69 Chevelle 410HP/500Ft.lbs
Citrus Heights, CA
Team Chevelle Member #1070
http://www.x86Racing.com (Daves Pics)

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Primitive, but it worked for me. I drilled a series of holes thru the old rubber til the center could be pushed out. Then cut with a hack saw (or similar) partially thru the shell. Then collapsed the shell with a hammer & chisel.

I used a large vise to slowly press the new bushings in. Its been about 8 years & honestly can't remember what I used to prevent the arms from collapsing. Had the ball joints pressed by a shop.

------------------
Rick
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
TC#00038
ACES#00140

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Or you can take them to a shop and for about $6 a piece you can have the old ones removed and the new ones pressed in.
That is what I did when I changed my front end to the PST Polygraphite front end last year.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Air chisel whips them right out. Be sure to put sockets or something in the control arm when pounding or pressing the new ones in. One or two whacks with a 3 lb. hammer and the lower ball joint will pop out. You will need a ball joint press. Think I saw one at Harbor Freight for $20-30.

------------------
KJ
I don't make rules I just play the game!
1968 Chevelle

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
To get the bushing out I heat the metal center with a torch while pressing on it with a screwdriver until it comes out. I then pull the rubber out with pliers and last, hit the shell with an air chisel. Only takes about 10 minutes per bushing. To take the ball joints in and out and put the bushings back in, I go get the loaner tool from AutoZone. Yes there is a deposit, but you get it back when you return the tool. I take the new bushing apart and just press the shell in then I grease the bushing and slip it in. The ball joint is pretty straight forward. To avoid crushing the A-arm while pressing the bushing shell in, I use a small bolt and nut and ajust it for a tight fit.
I think it took longer to explain it than to actually do it...

·
Registered
543 Posts
you can get them out with a socket, pipe nipple and vise but for about $20 (or a case) they will press them in for you

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just pound the old bushings out isnt that difficult. When you get ready to install the new bushings put them in the Freezer over night so they cold soak. Then take your control arms and put them in the oven at about 350-400degs for an hour or so til they're nice and hot. Take the bushings out of the freezer and tap them into the hot control arm. They should slide in pretty easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.