Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never done it but I was curious on how easy (or difficult) it is to replace a heating element in an electric dryer?

I've got an electric dryer I want to get rid of for free, but no one wants it....supposedly so I've been told it tumbles but takes forever to dry the clothes and there's no heat.....of course everyone wants it until i tell them about the "no heat" situation, then they all act like it's a daunting task of some sort.....

Or perhaps it's something other than the element that's gone bad?????

I've never tried messing with one before so i thought I'd ask....

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you look at the schematic for the dryer theres usually some type of heat fuse that goes in the exhaust vent, id bet that blew. Its there to prevent the exhaust gasses from getting to hot and catching all the crap in there on fire.

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Elements are usually fairly simple to change.Most of the time its the heat senser that goes bad.Its about as big as a nickle ,has usually 2 screwsholding it in place and 1 or 2 wires that clip on.theres a senser for each element so you might have 2 or 3 sensers.They are fairly cheap too.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've changed several. You need to pull, the sheet metal, then the drum has to come out. Take the belt drive (looks like a band) off from around the drum and lift the dum out. The heating element looks like a long coiled spring mounted in a big circle on the back inside wall of the dryer. It's very simple to do. It's just a little time consuming.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Cool I'll look into that. I just want to get this thing gone. I hate to throw away anything that still has any use left in it.
Dawg
If you can take apart a Chevelle and put it back together. Then the dryers are going to be easy.

It’s an easy job watch what you do, clean the thing up, put it back together.
You’ll be surprised at what you find if the dryers that has been in service for a while. And how old is it?
I would check the heating element first. Their good for about six to ten years. I had a Kenmore for twenty five years, thru two kids. It was used about every day. I replaced two heating element, one set of rollers, two drive belts in that time. Dryers are easy to fix if there the old ones with out all that electronic **** on them.

Should be easy what you got to lose?

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You’ll be surprised at what you find if the dryers that has been in service for a while. And how old is it?
It was my wifes before I met her. She says she got it in '96 or '97 new. It's made by Kelvinator.

My biggest issue was I didn't want to fix it unless I could atleast get it gone, but then I'd atleast want back out what I had in it.

I really don't feel like putting any $$ into it, then I don't feel like throwing it away because I know someone could fix it that would like to have it.

I've listed it on Craigslist.....no one wants it if I tell them it tumbles but doesn't heat....if I don't say it up front then everyone wants it....until I tell them about the heat issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts