Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my worn window felt (actually rubber...) on my 69' convertible. I'm going to get them from NPD, but can't decide between the cheap $40 kit and the 'original style' $70 kit? Has anyone had any problems with the installation, function, look, or squeaking of the cheaper kit? The NPD catalogue says that the 'original' kit has all the correct anti-squeak things and the correct style rounded stainless steel tops. I'm not concerned about originality......just functionality.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
I got my stuff from Year one and they had similiar options. I asked the guy over the phone and he told me the diffrences. Mostly it was a looks thing. Having the chrome trim versus not having it. He said "what ever touches the window is the same for whatever you buy"

I got the "in between" kit. has the trim, but still isn't show-worthy stuff. fit really nice and is easily bendable to contour to the rear 1/4 window. I mean, it is alreay bent, but you can manipulate it a tad.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
BEST 1/8th: 8.252 @ 84.56mph (1.855 sixty foot)
Last years previous best 1/4: 13.1sec @ 105 MPH (2.10 sixty foot) to be corrected soon.
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Autodata;

This is a job you only want to do once (at least just once per car)!

Shell out the extra money and get the best you can.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I recommend the $70 original style felts. They are virtually identical to the originals, fit well and look great. And, as a previous post mentioned, it is best if you only do that job only once per car.

Personally, for resale value, the more original looking the car, the more the car is worth. I have seen restorations where sellers are asking in the high teens and twenties for cars and when they use the cheaper style felts, it is noticed immediately. When I have looked a buying classic cars, I walk away when I see the cheap style felts. I know many classic car folks that feel the same way. Hope this info helps.

Woj

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I also say that the "original" style are worth the extra $. When I bought my complete kit of all rubber for the car ('67 SS Hardtop) , I got the cheaper ones. A couple of weeks ago I saw a car with the cheaper ones on it & it really had the "aftermarket" look to it as far as fit & finish. I then went out & bought the original style & they look great. I suppose that there's someone that thinks the repo's are fine, in which case I ought to sell the new set that I didn't use (or give them away). Just my $.02.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm also looking to buy new felts. The Correct style is the way to go.

The next question is where to get them? Any suggestions on manufacturer/outlet for 72 Chevelle Convertible?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.