Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm trying to have my seats reupholstered to look close to original.

Since I have a '68 4 door 300 deluxe with a full front bench and fabric/vinyl interior (code 770 ~ Dark Blue Ramara Cloth, Imitation Leather), there are no replacement seat covers.

I know that I could get the exact fabric from SMS, but that is a bit too pricey for me. Does anyone have an idea of a similar, commonly available fabric that an upholstery shop could use to sew new covers?

(Also, please let me know if you think I should post this in the Restoration Corner forum.)

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Just picked up the front bench seat for my '70 Greenbrier yesterday...upholstery shop recovered it using original material purchased by the yard from SMS.
Looks great and WELL worth the price IMO.
In fact, so pleased with the front seat, I'm dropping off the middle seat tomorrow to have it redone...not torn but faded when compared to the front.
Just an FYI...if you do end up ordering material from SMS plan on about a 3-4 week lead time before delivery.
You can call or fill out an online request and SMS will send you samples of interior material for free.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I appreciate your advice, but I've already received the samples from SMS and they want $89/yd for the fabric and $49/yd for the vinyl. So, I plan to go with some kind of current/readily available fabric and I am just wondering if anyone has a lead on a fabric that looks something like this:

http://chevellestuff.net/1968/interiors/770.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
Most auto upholstery shops have the Detroit fabric books with thousands of cloth swatches in them. If you take a good sample from your seat that's not faded or soiled (or drive your car to a shop in your area), they should be able to match it to something close. We do this all the time for our customers. It's really surprising how close some of the late-model vehicle upholstery is to older cars from the 50's-70's. A last resort would be furniture upholstery cloth, there are lots of colors and patterns available, and cheaper than auto cloth, but be careful as some of it is not as thick and durable as auto upholstery cloth. The vinyl is readily available in all colors and grains for $20-30 per yard.

Right now we have about 5 yards of a 1956 Ford cloth that is very similar to your Chevelle cloth, but more of a turquoise color than your blue. It was ordered for a customer who changed his mind and went with leather instead.

From your picture, it looks like 2-3 yards of cloth would do your inserts, front and back, plus 3-4 yards of the blue vinyl for everything else on your seats. One yard is usually 56" wide by 36" up the roll.

One tip: always look at samples outside in the natural light, as colors can look different under fluorescent or other inside lighting.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Augy! I was hoping that there would be some late model fabric that had a similar look.

The upholstery shop I am working with says he doesn't have anything similar to mine, so maybe I need a new upholstery shop.

Do you have a stock number or name for that Ford cloth, or maybe do you want to sell it to me? Somewhat of a different color may be less important to me than the overall look.

Thanks!!!

John W.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts