Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can inside rear view mirror glass be replaced and still retain the day/nite function? Thanks, Scott! :confused: P.S. interior lighted rear view mirror!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes it can. I bought an oversized mirror and had a local glass company cut it down to fit my lighted mirror. It works great. Mirror cost about 15.00 and to get it installed was 12.00.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I checked with a local glass supplier and they couldn't help me because the day/night mirror is beveled.

I never thought of trying what 71ChevelleConvert said. Good idea!

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
It is pretty easy to pull the glass out of one at a salvage yard and put it into your mirror. That prismatic glass is used in a lot of GM mirrors for many years. Practice on the junkyard car before tearing into your mirror. It works best when the mirror has been in the sun for a while to soften the rubber around the glass. Use a plastic knife (picnic style) to get behind the glass ; sometimes the glass will seem glued in , but not always. Do not use metal tool, as that will scratch the coating on the back of the mirror. For really fast removal (at the salvage yard) take a sharp knife and cut the rubber on the donor mirror. When you go looking for a donor, take the measurements from your mirror as there are a couple of sizes for the glass.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've been searching the yards for years but still haven't found any car with the same size mirror to use as a donor. (excluding other GM's of similar years such as Pontiac/Buick which aren't easily found either)

I've removed mirrors and can tell you that you better be holding a rabbits foot in the other hand. :D Everyone I did was glued in and can either help crack the mirror or at the very least, pull off some of the silvering from the back. It seems like the only ones I had luck with was removing the bad ones! :(

If anyone is lucky enough to find a donor mirror and want to remove the glass, cut the rubber going around it first. That will help greatly!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I find mirrors all the time in the junk yards. Any GM from the early 60's to the mid 90's having an overall length of 11 7/8 will work. Getting the mirror out is easy i just soak in near boiling water. This trick usually gives you the ability to slip the mirror out with no problems.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Can you be more specific of what models are an exact fit? The 80's/90's I look at are not the correct size or shape. ??? I realize the 60's-early 70's would be the best bet as they interchanged but those aren't easily found in good condition.

·
Registered
934 Posts
This thread brought me luck! I finally found a mirror the exact size. It was in a 1977 Malibu Classic. I'd be the Monte's would also be the same. I never found anything in the 80-s up yet that was the same though.

I already cut the gasket and removed the mirror without any damage. This one will go into a map light mirror I have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts