Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sending my box to Benchworks for a rebuild. This was probably a camaro box because it has the wrong stops. There are no fitting adapters. My question is, I have my alternator on the right like a 69 & up and a regular pump without remote reservoir and I don't know what hoses to get. The ones in this pic (at least the return line) look gangly. Is a 1970 hose replacement called for here? or some other year?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Do you have an assembly manual? It will show the routing for the hoses under the power steering option page. I seem to recall the 69 pump return line leading to the left away from the block like yours. 70 leads to the right and is much cleaner in appearance. I bought my hoses at NPD. Ground up is another option.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have an assembly manual? It will show the routing for the hoses under the power steering option page. I seem to recall the 69 pump return line leading to the left away from the block like yours. 70 leads to the right and is much cleaner in appearance. I bought my hoses at NPD. Ground up is another option.
I do but that shows the BB setup with remote reservoir.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,421 Posts
I've never seen 2 belts running to the PS Pump. On my 71 the second groove is for the A/C belt. Also what size is the return pipe coming off the PS Pump it looks big normally it's 3/8". I would just replace the return line on yours. If the steering pump pipe and the steering box pipe for the return line are the same diameters you could cut all the bends off the return line and just leave the L shape at the end of the metal tubing and just run the rest with rubber tubing like mine. If you want to put a small bulge at the end of the L shaped pipe and you have a double flare tool set the end of the pipe up just like you would if you were going to double flare it but just flare it a little bit to get a bulge. Here's a picture of mine. I also bought line crowfoot wrenches to use on the fittings because getting in with a regular line wrench can be difficult.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Ya know, IF the return hose spud was farther down on the reservoir or the belt was longer, allowing the pump to lay over farther, the return hose could then go under the box like Hanks does.

You don't really need two belts either.
Yeah, I noticed the steering pump looks like it's leaning over too much toward the water pump but it's hard to tell because of the angle of the picture. Plus the return hose should be coming off the box straight not with a bunch of bends in it.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it's really just the return that's gangly. I was going to get a straight line and do like you suggest (flare). Yes it's 3/8 return. just looks big in the photo. This setup was on the car. if I take a belt off it looks odd having an empty pulley.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Seeing the pipes are the same size I was trying to save you money by telling you that you could just cut the old return metal hose and partially double flare it. All you would need to get is a new length of rubber hose so you could run it down under the steering box like mine is and another clamp.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it, thanks....really want a new pressure hose and that's the one I don't know what application to use. i.e. is it a hose from an 83 Camaro or what.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts