·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy Chevelle
833 Posts
Could be, probably doesn’t take much, let em soak overnight with what ever is dripping out and see if it helps. Careful closing it so you don’t bend the hood.

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Spray the hinge joints with "Deep Creep" its made by Sea Foam. If they don't loosen up, pack up your old existing hinges and Send them to this guy HoodHingeRepair.com They will be better that any thing you can buy.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,172 Posts
It could also be that when the rivets were installed they got hit too hard and locked the two pieces together.

Reactions: 427L88

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car didn't have OEM hinges when I got it, that's why it was bent. They were the cheap, flimsy, under $100 hinges. If they were oem, I would have sent them to Willie.

I bought these because I needed some fast and there weren't any oem on ebay.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've started the return process with OPGI. We'll see if they refund the $40 for shipping that it's going to cost me to return these.

A set of oem hinges popped up on ebay so I bought those. Wish they had popped up sooner so I could have avoided this headache.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I has that happen to my OE hinges. I had the hood and clip off for about three years and I guess some moisture crept in and caused just enough corrosion to seize them up. Used PB blaster to soak em and they loosened back up. But yeah I damn near bent the hood in half first time I went to close it.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Spray the hinge joints with "Deep Creep" its made by Sea Foam. If they don't loosen up, pack up your old existing hinges and Send them to this guy HoodHingeRepair.com They will be better that any thing you can buy.
I bought the best repro hinges from SS396 and they barely opened the hood and then a short while later the hood would drop on its own. Willie fixed my originals and put on a good set of used springs as no one makes the correct spring for a 68 Chevelle. With that said new hinges can be very hard to get them to bend so using Deep Creep is needed even with Willies. My new repro's started to wear out the metal where the rivet pivots causing slop and made them unstable. Send your's in and get them redone.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
My go to lube is CLP.

I use it for everything that needs freeing up or lubrication.

If you watch the stuff will creep through nuts and saturate the metal. It stays awhile as well.

After that, its kroil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought new hinges for my 1972 Chevelle SS. What color should they be. What did the factory send out originally??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts