Team Chevelle banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Steve

Havent been here for a while. Suprized you switched over. Yep PF4 is a good system. No issues here. Glad you like it. Edelbrock has the best customer service IMO.
I did try to help people with their FiTech stuff based on what I did with it. I guess that made me look like a product specific fanatic. I don't have the fanboy gene though. It's all just stuff.

The FiTech Go Port was getting tired, and had to go. I couldn't rely on it anymore. I brought it back to life 4 times, and that was enough.

I like the PF4. It works. I do get better fuel mileage with it than I got with the FiTech Go Port. Not magical mileage like some people get, but better.

I wish I'd gotten lucky and received one of the later units. They have apparently put the MAP sensor in the throttle body instead of having it hanging out on a bracket with a little vacuum tube on it that has to be shared with an adjustable FPR with vacuum reference. I'm already bitching about it. It's the lack of the fanboy gene that makes me do that. :D

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
I did try to help people with their FiTech stuff based on what I did with it. I guess that made me look like a product specific fanatic. I don't have the fanboy gene though. It's all just stuff.

The FiTech Go Port was getting tired, and had to go. I couldn't rely on it anymore. I brought it back to life 4 times, and that was enough.

I like the PF4. It works. I do get better fuel mileage with it than I got with the FiTech Go Port. Not magical mileage like some people get, but better.

I wish I'd gotten lucky and received one of the later units. They have apparently put the MAP sensor in the throttle body instead of having it hanging out on a bracket with a little vacuum tube on it that has to be shared with an adjustable FPR with vacuum reference. I'm already bitching about it. It's the lack of the fanboy gene that makes me do that. :D
I have the XT manifold and the map is in the side of the intake. As far as the vacuum line to the FPR. I left it off. Mine runs better at idle since the big cam kills the vacuum at idle. Plus whats the difference. The ECU reads and adjusts the fuel air ratio the same at any fuel pressure.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
It would be nice to see Edelbrock enter the 21st Century and come out with a EFI system that could support High HP and Forced Induction. I always liked Edelbrock stuff. Everything I ever used has been great quality and performed well. I have their 215cc Victor Jr. Heads and a Super Victor Intake on my car now.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have the XT manifold and the map is in the side of the intake. As far as the vacuum line to the FPR. I left it off. Mine runs better at idle since the big cam kills the vacuum at idle. Plus whats the difference. The ECU reads and adjusts the fuel air ratio the same at any fuel pressure.
I ran the FiTech Go Port setup without a FPR vacuum reference initially. It worked. On the PF4 4150 intake setup the MAP uses that vacuum hose, so can't leave it off. And, Yeah the system corrects for whatever is sees at the O2, so it isn't that big a deal for an NA motor.

The FPR vacuum reference will be important once they get the software updated to support boost. They have been yacking about releasing software boost support on the PF4 forum for months. Promises promises. Not that important to me, but it would be very helpful for their sales, and let them get one more features check box closer to what FiTech supports. Would also be great if they added real data logging without having to buy a 3rd party CANbus device.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It would be nice to see Edelbrock enter the 21st Century and come out with a EFI system that could support High HP and Forced Induction. I always liked Edelbrock stuff. Everything I ever used has been great quality and performed well. I have their 215cc Victor Jr. Heads and a Super Victor Intake on my car now.
Edelbrock sells superchargers. All you need is a 21st century motor. ;)

Reactions: Yukon0724

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Steve

Edelbrock has the best customer service IMO.
Maybe, but Nate the moderator in the Edelbrock PF4 support forum is a forum Nazi that doesn't like customers trying to support customers. I've given a few simple correct and helpful answers to people asking questions, and have been getting censored. Essentially it's not really a PF4 user forum. It's Nate's PF4 forum. Would have been helpful if that was made clear before I bothered joining up. I better go back a read the membership rules. I must have missed something.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Steve

Edelbrock has the best customer service IMO.
Maybe, but Nate the moderator in the Edelbrock PF4 support forum is a forum Nazi that doesn't like customers trying to support customers. I've given a few simple correct and helpful answers to people asking questions, and have been getting censored. Essentially it's not really a PF4 user forum. It's Nate's PF4 forum. Would have been helpful if that was made clear before I bothered joining up. I better go back a read the membership rules. I must have missed something.
I noticed that too. I don’t even own or run a pro flo but I do like to read the forum for it lol.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I noticed that too. I don’t even own or run a pro flo but I do like to read the forum for it lol.
Yeah, I've noticed he also has a short fuse at times. Best leave him to enjoy his kingdom. Fortunately, he gives good answers to people looking for help when he gets around to it.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed he also has a short fuse at times. Best leave him to enjoy his kingdom. Fortunately, he gives good answers to people looking for help when he gets around to it.
Nate is a good guy. But i meant phone service. Peter is awesome. Remember I bought the Pro Flo 3 first. That had no real adjustments. So Peter got me the Pro Flo 4 kit and that fixed all my issues. Not many companys would do that for sure.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Nate is a good guy. But i meant phone service. Peter is awesome. Remember I bought the Pro Flo 3 first. That had no real adjustments. So Peter got me the Pro Flo 4 kit and that fixed all my issues. Not many companys would do that for sure.
That is a lucky outcome. Getting the latest product exchanged for the previous version is really unusual. I thought they just sent you a new MAP sensor.

Edelbrock PF4 has enough tuning features to make the system work great. Their tuning software should get better with the introduction of boost support. Might have to try forcing some air through it one day. Not on my short term priority list though.

The PF4 has been trouble free so far. Hope to never have to call their support group.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
OK here's one of those the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the hill stories.

The progressive throttle linkage on the PF4 throttle body seemed like a great idea. Nice and mellow street manners, but after a few weeks, it is boring to be honest. Major difference in power delivery compared to a throttle body that opens all 4 throttles at the same time. The secondary throttles don't start to open until the primary throttles are at 65%. To make any reasonable amount of power, the go pedal has to be very close to the floor. It's a long way to the floor, and I don't like standing on the pedal in a street car to get it to move. With the FiTech Go Port I could light up the tires with half throttle. I do miss that little rush of power.

If the Edlebrock PF4 could be easily converted to non-progressive linkage without fabricating new throttle linkage with modified geometry, I would have already tried it.

The quick spendy alternative is get a Holley 1000cfm throttle body that doesn't use progressive linkage.

The mad scientist alternative is butcher the FiTech Go Port throttle body so that I can use it with the PF4. All that needs to be done is remove the front cover that contains the ECU and harness, and block off the FiTech MAP and MAT ports that are behind the front cover. Then make a new front cover. A GM external MAP sensor can be connected to any full vacuum source. The PF4 MAT is in the air cleaner. The PF4 ECU wouldn't know the difference.

Another experimental project is born. Will the grass get greener?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It wouldn't be better to sell the FiTech, sell the PF4 TB, and then buy the Holley 1000 cfm tb?
At this point in my life it would probably be better to sell the entire car, the extra performance stuff in my garage, and stop screwing around with it all, but I'm allergic to low ballers, so I keep messing with it. :wink2:

I could buy the Holley throttle body without selling anything right now, but the modification to the FiTech throttle body turns out to be no big deal. 3 hours of work, and I could start it up. Unfortunately it's friggin 34 degrees in my garage, so I'm taking a warm up break. I only have to make a flat plate to replace the cover the ECU is epoxied into, and plug the MAP port. I have a plug that fits into the MAP port. No other modifications to the throttle body are required. The little proprietary looking MAT sensor is glued in and won't leak air. If it doesn't work out that well, I can always return the FiTech throttle body to its original condition by removing the plug in the MAP port and putting the cover with the ECU and harness back on. I'll loose some cfm with the FiTech throttle body, but don't really need 1000cfm for a 350 SBC street car.

The Holley throttle body is a much nicer built product than the FiTech or Edelbrock throttle bodies without a doubt. I need to make sure going with a throttle body that opens all the throttles at once will work with the Edelbrock calibrations before considering the Holley throttle body. I don't know why it wouldn't work, but want to make sure just in case.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Is it possibly a tuning issue? I have found with my car, even though my FiTech opens all the blades at the same time, if I give it a big gulp of air, it doesn't like it.
I'm not looking for help in case that was not clear. I've started babbling about something I'm going to try after using the PF4 system for a few weeks, close to two months. FiTech is out of the loop EFI system wise.

To answer the question. No on the tuning. My motor responds well to putting the pedal on the floor and big gulps of air. I know how to tune out lean tip in with carburetion and EFI. Neither the FiTech, when I was using it, nor the Edelbrock hesitate or stumble on hard acceleration. I don't like the way the progressive linkage works on the Edelbrock throttle body, and I'm doing some experimentation with the old FiTech throttle body. That is it. No help needed.

I thought some tuner tinkerers would find what I am doing mildly interesting.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I'm not looking for help in case that was not clear. I've started babbling about something I'm going to try after using the PF4 system for a few weeks, close to two months. FiTech is out of the loop EFI system wise.

To answer the question. No on the tuning. My motor responds well to putting the pedal on the floor and big gulps of air. I know how to tune out lean tip in with carburetion and EFI. Neither the FiTech, when I was using it, nor the Edelbrock hesitate or stumble on hard acceleration. I don't like the way the progressive linkage works on the Edelbrock throttle body, and I'm doing some experimentation with the old FiTech throttle body. That is it. No help needed.

I thought some tuner tinkerers would find what I am doing mildly interesting.
I know I do, just for kicks. To sum up, what you have is technically working and running fine, you are just trying to alter drivability/response?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I know I do, just for kicks. To sum up, what you have is technically working and running fine, you are just trying to alter drivability/response?
Yes more throttle now please. Doing this stuff keeps me entertained.

I did what I needed to do with the FiTech throttle body and got it installed and fired it up. Didn't need to change the tune sitting still anyway. Have yet to drive it to see how it works with a load on it.

I had a throttle pedal malfunction last week and thought I'd fixed a sticky Lokar setup. It's still hanging around 1300 RPM after half throttle for a tick. I need to address what ever it is that is making it hang. I'm trying to keep the pedal as soft as possible with a minimum of return spring pressure. More like a carbureted car without extra return springs. The retrofit EFI throttle bodies are a bit on the stiff side pedal wise. Should have that working right in a hour or so and then off on a test drive.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
The XT setup would of fixed you right up. Opening that 90mm throttle body is fun.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The XT setup would of fixed you right up. Opening that 90mm throttle body is fun.
Yeppers. Was going to mention the XT, but figured I'd let somebody bring it up. You were my first guess as to who would bring it up.

I was on the fence about swapping out the 4150 intake for the XT setup initially. I may have mentioned it in my opening post. I was lazy and took the easy route. Nothing good comes easy, or there's no such thing as a free lunch is the lesson there.

The little converted 4150 FiTech 4 barrel TB works alright. Definitely not as strong on top, but much stronger off the bottom than the progressive linkage PF4 TB. I still need to do some tuning, so it might get better.

I'm guessing this all comes off at the other end as complaining. It's not. It's just something to do, and I'm not that easily satisfied. I use to ride 200HP motorcycles that weigh around 370lbs, so my idea of seat of the pants fast is a bit warped. :grin2:

Reactions: StevenS
21 - 40 of 70 Posts