Chevelles.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the help you guys have been in the past. Short version: I have a 1965 Malibu SS 327 running super rough. Per a previous thread, I think it could be the needle/seat, but I'm not competent enough to dig that far into it. Took it to a guy with lots of older car experience and he says it needs a whole carburetor rebuild and it would make more sense to replace it. (He tweaked it that day and made it run MUCH better.) I think I could REPLACE it myself (though "tuning" it might be more complicated), but a rebuild just seems out of my league. Thoughts?

More information:
1.The current carb is an aftermarket Edelbrock (not sure of the model), but I'm fairly certain I have the original carburetor in a box somewhere.
2. If you ask me for info on a manifold or anything, if you could tell me how I find out the answer to your question, that would be very helpful.
3. This all comes on the heels of a fuel pump problem, which the guys here in the forum thought MIGHT be the carb. Turned out my biggest problem WAS the fuel pump (and I replaced that myself), but after that it still had this rough, inconsistent idle and it almost dies when I turn right.
4. My thinking is that replacing with, say an Edelbrock 600 CM, Performer, Electric choke from OPGI would A) be something I can handle (in the ballpark of the fuel pump swap out), and would B) take away some unknowns about current carb parts that are pretty much shot anyway.

What other details do you need for diagnosis and recommendations?

So... rebuild or replace? And am I right that a novice could handle replacing it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I think you could change it yourself. 4 bolts and the accelerator cable. Don't overtighten the nuts. Tuning it might take some help as a vacuum gauge is usually needed. The 600 Holley sounds about right. Having some help as to which type of Holley would be nice so you get it right the first time. Nothing beats local but this site is a wealth of knowledge. An automatic or 4speed might dictate which model of Holley you get.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I own and have driven hundreds of thousands of miles on Quadra jet carbs, Holley Carbs, Edelbrock and Carter and Motorcraft Carbs and none of them are bad and None of them are junk.

It boils down to can you "tune" a carburetor or not.
The carburetor that made the least power out of all the 750's were always the Holley 3310 or 4779.

That is in stock form with only things changed being squirters and jets and pump cams.
You start porting and epoxy things then the Holley shines.

Now that Edelbrock carb is not hard at all to rebuild.
There really is nothing difficult about it.

My boys when they were 11 were rebuilding 2 stroke carbs.
Take it apart clean it up and stick it back together.

If you can take apart a flash light you can build an edelbrock carb.. Unless the light never works after you stick it together.

Only thing to know is pull the covers off the metering rods/power piston and remove them first.
AND!!! install them last after the Top of the carb is stuck back on.

Watch some videos.
I was doing the carb tweaking thing on the Carter AFB when I was 17.
No one showed me how. It is about that easy.

You will thank yourself. You can also buy books on it. Cheaper to learn how to work on carbs than it is to hope you get a good one out of a box.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Carburetors are simple devices. They use air to siphon fuel. Any carb can work just fine. There are a couple of keys to them. They have to be in good condition, throttle shafts not sloppy and worn, and it takes a proper tune, which starts with timing. Buy a rebuild kit for the carb you have and a book or two. Watch the YouTube videos. You might end up buying a tool or two but in the end you’ve spent less than a new carb, your car runs better and you have gained knowledge and confidence in your abilities.

Devin

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I got rid of my Eddy 600 on my street car a few years ago. Although it was the fastest carb I used on it so far the drivability was horrible with it. This year I bought a 650 DP FST carb for the car and after a few settings it runs perfect, did not even have to set the floats, they were spot on. Very happy with it and just ought another FST 850 this week for the race car.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Id put a quadrajet with electric choke.Lots of carb for a 327.
Yep. I bought a quality rebuild Q-jet for my 307, and once I got it adjusted (which does take a bit of patience) it ran almost like it was fuel injected. If there was fuel in the bowl, I could just turn the key and it would fire up and run cold without even touching the pedal. Would have been an outstanding setup with an electric fuel pump. Q-jets rule.

·
Premium Member
13,581 Posts
Since you are not sure of your capabilities, I use and recommend www.customrebuiltcarbs.com Click on my link and give them a call. My usual turnaround was 10 days, I'm sure you'll be happy with the work!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I took the Carter off my Chevelle and installed a sniper, best decision that I have made. Drivability is greatly improved, more power and better fuel economy not that that matters, I don’t drive a lot of miles anyway. And the best thing is that it starts way easier. Win win

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
Okay got my flame suit on so here we go.
OP what is your plans for the car ? is it a street only car? is drive-ability your primary concern?
Once you have the answer to those questions, then ask your self what you feel you can accomplish on your own and what you are unsure of.
For just plain old street car, that edelbrock 600 will do the job once tuned for the engine.
The Qjet has a bit more learning curve for some, if you get it from the right re-builder it will be a simple set it and just drive deal.
The holley my advice on that is get a 670 street avenger pretty much same as above.
The demon 625 I have not had experience with.
Now all of the carbs I mentioned are vacuum secondary carbs, all are great street everyday driving carbs.
Once they are properly tuned you will get great reliability out of any of them.
The main question you need to ask your self is what one fits the budget and use of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS396
82 Posts
I own and have driven hundreds of thousands of miles on Quadra jet carbs, Holley Carbs, Edelbrock and Carter and Motorcraft Carbs and none of them are bad and None of them are junk.

It boils down to can you "tune" a carburetor or not.
The carburetor that made the least power out of all the 750's were always the Holley 3310 or 4779.

That is in stock form with only things changed being squirters and jets and pump cams.
You start porting and epoxy things then the Holley shines.

Now that Edelbrock carb is not hard at all to rebuild.
There really is nothing difficult about it.

My boys when they were 11 were rebuilding 2 stroke carbs.
Take it apart clean it up and stick it back together.

If you can take apart a flash light you can build an edelbrock carb.. Unless the light never works after you stick it together.

Only thing to know is pull the covers off the metering rods/power piston and remove them first.
AND!!! install them last after the Top of the carb is stuck back on.

Watch some videos.
I was doing the carb tweaking thing on the Carter AFB when I was 17.
No one showed me how. It is about that easy.

You will thank yourself. You can also buy books on it. Cheaper to learn how to work on carbs than it is to hope you get a good one out of a box.
Agree with your comments on the Edelbrock carb. Pretty straight forward. I've had mine on my 70SS for 11 years with the electronic choke and never had a problem all those years. Quick start, smooth idle and great performance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay got my flame suit on so here we go.
OP what is your plans for the car ? is it a street only car? is drive-ability your primary concern?
Once you have the answer to those questions, then ask your self what you feel you can accomplish on your own and what you are unsure of.
For just plain old street car, that edelbrock 600 will do the job once tuned for the engine.
The Qjet has a bit more learning curve for some, if you get it from the right re-builder it will be a simple set it and just drive deal.
The holley my advice on that is get a 670 street avenger pretty much same as above.
The demon 625 I have not had experience with.
Now all of the carbs I mentioned are vacuum secondary carbs, all are great street everyday driving carbs.
Once they are properly tuned you will get great reliability out of any of them.
The main question you need to ask your self is what one fits the budget and use of the vehicle.
Thanks, Jeb. The car is my daily driver. I just want it to function for that purpose, nothing fancy. I'm usually looking for the most economical way to keep it running well.

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
I am surprised more folks haven't said this. It was what I expected to hear.
The reason I did not mention it is if it is a Q-jet some times you have to expoxy some of the parts on a Q-jet, depending on age and condition, Also as I stated the Q-jet has a higher learning curve when it comes to rebuilding and tuning. Not saying that just throwing a kit at it and hoping there is no worn out parts or things like someone over tightened the mixture screws and what not. My thought on that is find a good competent Q-jet builder and have it professionally rebuilt and it should be as good as a new one. Since it was original to the engine it would be a good carb for it after.

Reactions: LeoP
1 - 19 of 19 Posts