Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the speaker in my 67 with a GM $7 deal. Just wondering if anyone makes an improved version, same size with dual cone or intergral tweeter etc, correct impedance. What is correct impedance anyway, 4 ohm?

------------------
Gene Chaas
Gold Member 62/ACES
67 SS 427

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Never use anything less than 8 ohms impedance speakers for stock radios. The factory ones were rated at 10 ohms. If you go with 4 ohm units, the output transistor is working "harder" than it wants to.

Try Radio Shack as they seem to be about the only ones to have 8 ohm speakers anymore.

·
Premium Member
15,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnx Joe. I realize this isn;t in the "audiopphile" category, but thought I would at least look into it.

Stocker is a 4X8, not 6X9 correct?

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Gene, stocker on my '70 is 4x10. My hunch is it's the same for your '67.

Man, you must be the scourge of Qjetville, running a Holley and all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone know how to get at the speaker in a 1969 SS. I've read somewhere on this web site that you can get to it through the glove box compartment. I removed my glove box, plus the A/C round duct, but still cannot even see the speaker. It looks as though I will have to remove the A/C control unit. Am I right? If so do I need to remove the dash trim that covers the front of the dash from the radio to the left end?

Thanks,

------------------
Randy Hammett
69 SS Silver Bullet
TC #985
ACES #4252

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Hammy,

Uhhh, don't you just remove the top of the dash (the dash pad)? It's been awhile since I've pulled a radio from a '69, but I believe they have same style of dash pad from '69-72. Remove the screws at the front underneath of the pad (look up). Remembers some of the screws are only visible once you open the glove box.

Now pull forward and up and the pad should come off allowing you access to the speaker.

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Nope!!
Unfortunately the 69 dash is not like the 70. The dash pad is very difficult to remove and doesn’t make the speaker access any easier. I think the speaker along with the dash pad were the first items installed. My experience with an A/C equipped 68 (which is basically the same as 69) is that you will need to remove the radio, A/C-heat controls and the center A/C vent along with the duct work connecting it to the heater box to access the speaker.
If you’re going to replace it bring lots of patience and a lunch.

·
Premium Member
15,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OUCH! Thank God for 67's then! Way easier, like Coppertop said.

------------------
Gene Chaas
Gold Member 62/ACES
67 SS 427

1 - 9 of 9 Posts