Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a small crack in my console top plate. The crack isn't very deep but is noticeable. My brother-in-law suggested using bondo to fill it in. Since the crack isn't very wide or deep he also suggests using a dremel tool to remove some material so the bondo has more surface area to hold on too. How does this idea sound? I'm interested in other fixes that might work better. I also would like to know if there is a way to remove scratches and nicks from the brushed aluminum on the top plate and the console. Thanks for helping, Steve in Portland Oregon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
you can purchase those brushed aluminum top plates for around $20 or less, I would recommend doing that because repairing nicks would take time and still would look very good. One company that I have had good luck with is called TCN chevelle and they have an online database! check it out! I don't know the URL off hand, so just type TCN chevelle in a search engine and you will get there. Also, I had my bumbers straightened and rechromed from them and they did a great job for only $165 a piece! that price is about $100 less than most places. Plus, if you can make a custom box that fits the US mail standards maximum dimensions, you can ship a bumper for about $15 by mail. I think UPS would charge about $30 for an oversized package. Kind of off the subject, but someone always needs a bumper rechromed.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Steve, what year is your car? You can replace the console lense on '68-'72, and '66-67. There is a very interesting article in the new MuscleCar Review that cover plastic repair, specifically fixing cracked or broken pieces.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I use medium steel wool to "re-brush" the brushed aluminum inserts. I've been toying with the idea of spraying some clear paint on them afterwards to see if they stay nice longer, but haven't yet.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I don't thonk Steve is talking about the brushed aluminum inserts. He is talking about the outside mounting area which I beleive is pot metal. Bondo would work but I have used JB weld for a small crack. The only problem is getting sand paper in there to smooth it out without scratching the chrome areas.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
2nd to last sentence:"I also would like to know if there is a way to remove scratches and nicks from the brushed aluminum on the top plate and the console", hence my response.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I've got a friend who works in a machine shop, and according to him a belt sander is used to get the brushed finish on the aluminum trim. My guess is that a pass over the parts with the correct grit paper on a belt sander would do a good job of refinishing and taking out minor nicks and scratches. Its probably best to experiment with some scrap first, though. Good luck!

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've used steel wool, can't remember the coarseness (it was fairly coarse) but that took out the scratches nicely. The brushed aluminum inserts are cheap and look good. You might just want to change them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.