Chevelles.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 SS reproduction dash that needs repainted. Since the car is not a true SS, I'm not real concerned about being "100% correct" however I'd like it to be close to original. Does anyone have any paint recommendations for doing it yourself? I'm especially interested in the chrome around the guages. I don't want to pay the $'s to have it "chromed" and silver paint just doesn't seem like it will fit the bill.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I've seen a lot of them done with silver paint and I don't like the look. When I redid mine a while back, I just shot the whole dash - bezels and all - with an SEM black trim paint (don't recall the number). I think the dash looks better all black than with poorly done silver paint lines.

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
If you want the chrome look without the trouble of the chroming process... Look into modelers "gold leaf"

They sell a chrome colored foil like material, and it can be applied and trimmed- when done it will look like chrome. I havn't done this yet, but when it comes time to do my dash i will.

It will definitely take some time and detailed work to get it done, but i think that would be the cheapest and best looking way to do it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If interested in possibly going with the silver paint check the crafts section at your local wal mart. They have silver craft markers that are actually paint and make it very easy get a nice smooth even coat of paint. Did mine this way last spring and i was very happy with it. It is much cheaper than rechroming and doesn't look bad.

·
Super Moderator
990 Posts
Originally posted by jacksheavychevy:
If interested in possibly going with the silver paint check the crafts section at your local wal mart. They have silver craft markers that are actually paint and make it very easy get a nice smooth even coat of paint. Did mine this way last spring and i was very happy with it. It is much cheaper than rechroming and doesn't look bad.
I did the same and it looks great.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I masked mine off and shot it with metallic silver paint. This was a Monte dash, so the woodgrain overlay was removed and the metal insert was painted black and reinstalled after I painted the silver trim.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I did my dash last year and used Testors chrome pens from the hobby store and OPG's black dash paint. It looks very original, I'm pretty happy with the results. Here is the original post with pictures...

New Dash

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have recently restored my 70 SS dash, Here is the process I followed that worked well.
Use Krylon #1613 Semi Flat Black in a spray can. This was recomended to me by a dash restorer. The color is as close to original as you will find.

Mask off as necessary and paint the rim areas using the testor chrome paint you mentioned using. However I found that the best finish is obtained by using a small air sprayer (model stores) and thinning the paint slighly as necessary. This will look much better than trying to hand paint the areas, and will prevent streaks or lines. Hope that helps, thanks Grant.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Hello,

Believe it or not I used supermarket brand Aluminum foil to recreate the chrome on my 70 SS dash.

Does it look absolutely perfect for concours.....no. Does it look better than the testors silver paint that I put on there 15 years ago..........yes. Much much better.

I think I used Acme store brand aluminum foil. Most aluminum foils will have a shiny side and a dull side. I glued the dull side down using Elmers glue. Elmers is easy to clean up with water.

The circles around the gauges are easy enough. I precut the foil to fit each gauge and glued the foil down on each circle. I used a small rubber roller to roll out and press the foil onto each circle nice and tight and smooth. I got the small rubber roller from a craft store. A hard plastic roller for use on wallpaper works also on the circles and around the vents, windshield wiper switch and the radio. After the glue dried, I cut the inside out of each gauge circle and trimmed the outside of each gauge circle. I used a few razor blades on each circle to keep a sharp blade at all times.

For the largest / longest trim around the entire gauge area I used one piece of aluminum foil to have no seams. I pressed it into place to get the general shape first. Then I started applying glue to the left of the steering column cut away and working about 3 inches at a time. The rubber roller worked very well on this section as the turns and contour are not flat as the other trims areas are (gauge circles, radio area, etc). Again I used a few razor blades to get a crisp cut when trimming the foil.

I polished the foiled areas using aluminum polish once I put the dash back in the car and it looks great to me. Shines like crazy.

I might use a different glue mext time, but the Elmers seems to be OK.

I used Krylon paint when I painted the dash years ago. My dash is black and I used 2 different paints. Gloss black for the dash except around the gauge area and semi-gloss black for the gauge area. Thought this combination looked the most factory. For dashes that are not black, my friend used Just Dashes spray dye for his red dash. Looks great.

I would like to post photos but do not have a website to link to. Can I post a picture without a website????

Good luck with your project....Joe.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
There's a company in Texas called SprayChrome that will probably get you back to OEM quality. They do custom work including automotive.

I believe you would send them your tattered dash, they'd do the chroming, then you would shoot the black and wipe off the highlites you wanted. Ask them about how paint adheres to their surface.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My crusade to find the best/cheapest alternative to re-chroming plastic, no matter what the cost, has revealed the following:
Spray Chrome Paint does not have the reflective qualities desired, even after testing five of the best known paints and various application techniques.
Silver (metalic) Paint pens - same lack of reflection.
Metalic Markers - ditto.
Silver Leafing is very difficult to apply &/or secure without significant flaws.
After over $100 in products and countless hours, I had given up on acceptable alternatives until I stumbled on the answer while insulating the interior...
ALUMINUM TAPE!!! The tape used to secure heat shield and metal duct work. Easy to control, apply and trim. A little Mother's Aluminum Polish and DONE. It's got the best reflective quality of anything I tried.
Check it out!

·
Super Moderator
990 Posts
Originally posted by Sharp71:
My crusade to find the best/cheapest alternative to re-chroming plastic, no matter what the cost, has revealed the following:
Spray Chrome Paint does not have the reflective qualities desired, even after testing five of the best known paints and various application techniques.
Silver (metalic) Paint pens - same lack of reflection.
Metalic Markers - ditto.
Silver Leafing is very difficult to apply &/or secure without significant flaws.
After over $100 in products and countless hours, I had given up on acceptable alternatives until I stumbled on the answer while insulating the interior...
ALUMINUM TAPE!!! The tape used to secure heat shield and metal duct work. Easy to control, apply and trim. A little Mother's Aluminum Polish and DONE. It's got the best reflective quality of anything I tried.
Check it out!
How about posting some pics?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sharpe71
where do you find this aluminum tape? What did you do about the lettering or does a 71 have lettering like the 68 does(wiper,lights,etc.) I did the same type of search that you did and found the best look was a spray on "chrome" paint but it still wasn't the same as the factory chrome.
Cheers
Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts