Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got the driveshaft pulled; the next problem is the u joints don't want to come free from the yokes. I've been soaking with Rust Buster and giving the bearing caps a light tap every couple of days, but haven't seen any movement yet. BTW, yes, the retaining clips have been removed

Any suggestions on getting these things loose?

------------------
Jeff Schramm
'65 300 Deluxe
Member #283

[This message has been edited by JSchramm (edited 07-16-99).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'll go one further. Find a socket, preferably a POS, that fits around the yoke, but will let the cap fall through the center. Set your yoke on this and sharply whack the far side using a brass drift. You should get it to move. These don't have those funky plastic things you have to melt do they? Plan B is to put a slight bit of heat, modest, like from a BurnzOMatic on the yoke and give it a try.

·
Gold Founding Member
1,348 Posts
I set it in a vise with the caps that are horizontal resting on top of the jaws then tap the yokes beeing careful not tio hit the area the caps push in Mike

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have done a few by using a socket smaller than the yoke hole on one side and a large socket on the other end so the bearing can push into it, then crank away with the vice. This was almost 15 years ago, some newer cars have a plastic ring but not your 65

Frank

------------------

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use the vise and sockets. Let the vise do the work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
spend a few bucks and take it to the local garage to be pressed out. sometimes your best machanic is george Washington or Abe Lincoln

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
I would like to add one thing. Which ever way you do it before you put the shaft back in the car make sure the u-joint is not binding, it should move freely. If not tap on the yolk with a hammer which will relieve the pressure on the joint and give a longer life. I always pack the cross with grease before installation, it helps in getting it evenly greased. (I guess that was 2 things.)

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.