Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change my valve cover gaskets, most importantly on the drivers side. These 7/16 head bolts have t- bars also. What kind of tool/ socket do I need to get the top ones off. Bottoms no problem. Their is literally no room to get anything on the head. I ground down a wrench but that doesn't work. I can't see where a swivel 1/4 inch would work either. If I ever get them off, I won't put them back on. I have a sizable leak coming from the rear of the drivers side and need to stop the bleeding. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
13,134 Posts
What is in the way that you cant get a 1/4" drive socket to work ??? Should be a straight shot. Are they some kind of crazy aftermarket valve covers ? Picture ?

·
Super Moderator
13,134 Posts
I guess I should have asked...... what type of vehicle ??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually haven't tried the socket yet, but looking at it I can't see any space between the cover and the bolt head. I'm not sure who makes the covers. No brand etc. just chrome. I really don't know how they even got them tight in the first place. I have a ton of sockets but no swivel 1/4 drive. I'll pick one up and try and get back to you. IF I can figure out how to send a picture I will. Thanks for responding.

·
Super Moderator
13,134 Posts
Tracy,

I have a set of those cover here and it looks like a straight shot with a 1/4" drive ratchet ?

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well they may be cheap reproduction valve covers where the stamping die doesn't put a sharper corner at the bolt recess to give sufficient clearance. But like was said, a 12 point socket, even 1/4" drive will have a thin wall and probably let you get on there.

·
Super Moderator
13,134 Posts
If you cant get a 1/4 drive socket to go on all the way just smack your extension with a small hammer and force it on. Most likely the valve cover will move out of the way anyway if it been leaking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I did what you suggest. Went and bought a 1/4 12 point. Still had to grind it and use with my wrench. Nevertheless it's off. Thanks. That helped a lot

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Use a different headed screw on the re-install - maybe a phillips head or, if you can find them, screws for the old SBC's using a 3/8" socket and has a flange forged onto it

·
Registered
14,977 Posts
Allen head cap screws work great too. Jim

Reactions: lloydg1
1 - 15 of 15 Posts