Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me how to remove the ignition switch in a 67 El Camino? the car will be running and the starter will engage as if I was turning the key. I have a new ignition, but I need to remove the tumblers before I can remove the case. :confused:

·
Registered
764 Posts
bet its the same as a 66. with key in the switch, poke something in that tiny hole on the face of the switch. It releases the guts, and when you turn the key (I think ccw)they come out. Then you can spin the outer ring nut off. Wire connector comes off from the back side, and your done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does the key need to be in the off position? I've tried it the Acc position and in the on position but the thing just wont come out. I'll try it can't hurt.

Thanks...

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have a 65 and you have to have it in the off position to place the hole over the locking pin. but if you have problems you usually can see the locking pin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can't seem to get the paper clip to go in far enough. I have the chrome nut about half way, do I need to tighten it back for it to go in? I have a 67 el camino.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yes leave the nut tight until the cylinder is out.
Pushing the clip in allows the key to rotate past ACC
and frees the cylinder.

Rene
66_Malibu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts