Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of my '65 thought it would be cool to paint the whole grill a flat black color. I'd like to remove the paint and give it back it's polished look.

Normal paint remover was a very tideous process when I took the paint off the eyebrow moldings. Is there a better way to do? Like maybe dipping in some sort of chemical tank???

thanks to anyone that can provide a little help.

Brad

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I think if you use anything but paint stripper you will risk ruining the anodize finish. I know a person who put one in a hot tank. It etched the whole grille, looked terrible.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
The grills are alum. and hot tanks are costic and can eat away at the alum. If you are using a good quality paint stripper (air craft stripper) from your auto parts or paint house, it shouldnt take but some running water and a stiff brush to get the paint off that has bubbled up. Make sure you DONT LET THE STIPPER DRY.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you gentleman. I will look for a higher quality stripper and get after it. I guess my ideas of a tanking short-cut were just dreaming.

thanks,

Brad

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Wally world or any auto parts store sells the "aircraft stripper". Spray it on and rinse it off. Like Rod said, Keep it wet, Don't let the stripper dry up. (that doesn't sound to good).:D

Remember; Shortcuts always end up taking twice as long!!!! :yes:

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
You may want to read the label & verify that the Aircraft Stripper wont harm anodized aluminum. I was stripping some paint off something the other day with a chemical stripper (forget the brand name) & when I read the label it clearly said DO NOT USE ON ANODIZED ALUMINUM.

Just a heads up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not a hijack attempt, but this seems as good a place as any to ask, what about stripping the paint from a 70 grille? Its plastic, what would the best product be to use?

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Brad
You may find that once you get the paint off you won't be happy with the condition of the anodize. I always strip the anodize off and polish the aluminum. They look awesome polished this way !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts