Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's the oil pressure sending unit anyway. It's at the back of the block under the distributer. It's leaking oil badly. How does this come out? It doesn't look like you can get a wrench on it to turn it as it seems to be round. Does it pull out or does it indeed twist out? Is there a gasket or O ring I can replace there or is a new sending unit in order?

Tim.

------------------
Proud Owner: '69 Chevelle
Malibu: 350, PG, 3.36 open dif.

"ALL YOUR RICE ARE BELONG TO US!"

http://www.wyatts-torch.com/~dienadel/chevelle/index.html

·
Registered
163 Posts
The sending unit needs a special socket to remove it. A pair of pliers may do the trick tho. I don't know about a gasket or O-ring to replace. You may try teflon tape on the threads to stop the leaking...

------------------
1969 Caprice 4400LBS!!
454/M-20
12-bolt 4.10 Posi
13.45 @ 105
323HP @ 5200RPM
382lb-ft @ 3300RPM at the wheels!
Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House

·
Registered
400 Posts
There are no O rings or gaskets involved. If the unit is leaking, I would replace it. It's not that expensive of an item. I used channel lock pliers to remove and replace mine. As far as thread sealant goes, you can use Teflon tape, (as mentioned above) or Permatex(non-hardening) gasket sealer on the threads. It worked well for me. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Get the special socket and save yourself some grief.They are not that expensive. All you need to do is break the oil sending unit off of its threads with a pair of pliers to really mess up your weekend. If you have an HEI unit on the engine it is even more difficult to remove one. The socket and a wobble joint make the job a snap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.